Common Sense at last.

That video makes a couple of mistakes..
- I couldn't find evidence that Hate incidents are recorded for DBS or enhanced DBS, I'm still looking
- It focuses on Police recording not, evidence gathering and prosecution preparation.
- its not a new legal system many of the acts date back 25 years and have clear legal definitions and case law
- It is defined in law (just different places)
- police don't prosecute - CPS do.
- Most crimes are categorised in terms of seriousness by the guilty mind, not the guilty act. That is really what its about.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/racist-and-religious-hate-crime-prosecution-guidance

Sponsored Links
Whether one agrees with it or not, it wasn't a crummy video.

- Most crimes are categorised in terms of seriousness by the guilty mind, not the guilty act. That is really what its about.
Now it appears to also include the mind of the victim and the perception whether justified or not .

I would point out that the link only refers to race and religious hate crime. I might accept these two categories, but what about all the other categories being added to the list, which would appear to include everyone with the slightest difference?

Sponsored Links
Now it appears to also include the mind of the victim and the perception whether justified or not .

Why something is recorded and the evidence required to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt aren't the same thing. But yes I agree with you - it might be a step too far to argue its a hate crime because the victim finds a category to identify with.

Back