Do you agree with what she is doing?

Sponsored Links
My ex-inlaws used to arrive about a week and a half before Christmas and would clear off New Years day if I was lucky. It was the only time of the year, I'd get some proper down time as all my customers would be breaking too. Only to spend two+ weeks being a waiter and filling and emptying my dishwasher.

This year will be Xmas day at my G/fs parents, Boxing Day at my parents. My contribution was the turkey and ham, which cost just over £100.

I don't see a problem with people contributing to the cost.

Sponsored Links
My mum always offers to pay a bit, I just get her to bring dessert.
It makes sense. If you host every year and nobody brings anything, that is a huge cost. And if you skrimp a bit "customers" will probably complain it wasn't as good as last year!

Why not just ask if everybody can contribute a tenner to ensure you all have a lovely dinner? I would cost £100 in a restaurant.

In an interview Jennifer Saunders was asked the happiest day of her life. Her response made a lot of sense to me & I try to make it happen as much as possible.

The whole thing for me at xmas is everyone who is important in my life will be sat at the same table.

In our house Different parts of family are providing the food/meals on different days of the holiday. We agreed to that after a couple of years of family turning up with duplications of food to 'help out' or failing to make a contribution.
In the past when we went overseas for Christmas we all put in to the food kitty and one person did the buying and the rest of us did our bit in the cooking. I
I think she is doing the sensible thing - one person planning the meals, buying and leading on the preparation. Less waste and duplication.

Last edited:
Both sets of in-laws plus a couple of others are at my daughters for Christmas. We decided ages ago that she should keep a running tally of what she spends and we would all chip-in. Can't see a problem with it.

Her business to do what she wants. Her family might be a tight bunch. Maybe they scrounge off her all year round.

Me and the squaw are going to one of her daughters for Crimbo day. We offered to give her some money towards the food but she said no. She's partial to a spot of rose so I'll be stopping off at the offy tomorrow to get her a few bottles. The wifes son will be attending also and he really is a scrounger. Short arms and long pockets. I'm stapling my gob shut on Crimbo day.

A lad who used to work for me was the same.

When ribbed about it, his response was "I'm not tight; just careful!"
I used to run the National Lottery syndicate at my place of work years ago. Collecting the subs was always the most difficult with those that earned the most and had the newest cars. One bloke in particular was so irksome when it came to fishing a couple of quid out of his pocket we threw him out of the syndicate. We won by the way. I'm sending this message from a bordello in Paraguay whilst drinking heavily and lying in a pool of my own p155 and vomit (not really but I can dream).

I used to run the National Lottery syndicate at my place of work years ago. Collecting the subs was always the most difficult with those that earned the most and had the newest cars. One bloke in particular was so irksome when it came to fishing a couple of quid out of his pocket we threw him out of the syndicate. We won by the way. I'm sending this message from a bordello in Paraguay whilst drinking heavily and lying in a pool of my own p155 and vomit (not really but I can dream).
I used to run one many years ago and I agree with trying to get the money each week.
I had a rule. Miss 3 weeks payments and you were out. End of and what you were owed from the 'bank' was shared out between everyone else after your 3 weeks had been deducted.
One of the apprentices was always falling behind then paying up at the last minute. When he was going on a month long course in Loughborough I asked/told him to pay a month in advance or he would be out. He didn't pay before he went. So we set him up with a scam.
The Monday he returned he found us all in the canteen, before starting work, all talking excitedly about what we were going to do with our winnings. He kept insisting we were bluffing, even when I told him I had to go to Sheffield on the Wednesday to receive the official confirmation and the cheque. (I forget how much we won but it worked out around £125,000 each based on Saturdays 5 + bonus ball). Then the MD walked in with a big grin on his face asking how much did we win, (yes, he was in on it as well). Then the appo started getting a bit concerned. LOL
I had a day off on the Wednesday so it looked a bit genuine. On the Thursday I came in with a bunch of envelopes to hand out to the team and each one contained a cheque, (paid from my old bank account which was closed), because I had got the money paid to me.
HE WAS SICK AS A PARROT!!!!
Everyone had agreed we would work 1 months notice so the firm could try hiring new staff and for the whole month he was convinced we had won.
To say he wasn't best pleased when he found out it was a joke is an understatement. But he wouldn't join the syndicate again.

I remember when christmas used to mean spending time with my parents or the inlaws. A thoroughly unpleasant experience, so we routinely buggered off to Morocco or the Red Sea.

Sponsored Links
Back