Completion Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 7 years ago I had a single storey extension. It was done under Full Plans. A building inspector visited and inspected the stages he wanted to see and was happy with everything. At the end, I called to let them know I'd finished, they said ok fine. I asked if they wanted to visit again and they said no need.

I'd never received a completion certificate for it, but now I've asked them if they should have done so. They are saying they can do one, but as it's been some time, they need to 'reactivate' the case and want to charge me £50 for it. I've said, no chance, it's YOUR mistake YOU made, I let you know that it was finished and you did nothing.....

I'm yet to hear back. I wonder what those with more experience than I have could advise?

Sponsored Links
If they have to 'reactivate it' it must have been signed off in the past, surely? Ask them why they are reactivating it.

Look at their charging scheme, if theres no separate charge for completion certificates, they have to issue it free. Practical problems might arise if the bloke or woman have left and there is nothing on the file, but complete ie complete so they can always inspect. They can't make up a charge though IMO.

Alternatively for £50 and (presumably) no hassle you will have a house you can sell.

Blup

Effectively it's an admin fee for them to find it in their archives. Should've asked for a cert at the time.

Sponsored Links
You should ask what the last note on the file was before archiving. That will determine why it was archived or if archived in error.

I guess we'll see what they say in the week. I'll try my best to not pay them £50 for something they should have taken care of back then.

I guess we'll see what they say in the week. I'll try my best to not pay them £50 for something they should have taken care of back then.
Did you not request the 'completion' visit? Sounds to me like the BCO's were saying that all stages had been inspected. It's up to the homeowner to comply.

Did you not request the 'completion' visit? Sounds to me like the BCO's were saying that all stages had been inspected. It's up to the homeowner to comply.

Yes, as stated in post 1.

Did you specify a 'completion' visit? Doesn't sound like you did. Its quite specific and succinct.

Unless I treat the building control officer as a complete and utter incompetent moron, then calling him and telling him we've finished and asking him if he's going to do a final visit should be enough for a department which is supposed to know what they're doing.

Specifically and succinctly, what other purpose would a visit be for a completed extension?

Unless I treat the building control officer as a complete and utter incompetent moron, then calling him and telling him we've finished and asking him if he's going to do a final visit should be enough for a department which is supposed to know what they're doing.

Specifically and succinctly, what other purpose would a visit be for a completed extension?
It details the visit criteria on the forms you received. You have to request a ‘completion’ visit. You didn’t. Bad luck.

It details the visit criteria on the forms you received. You have to request a ‘completion’ visit. You didn’t. Bad luck.
Do you go around the forum telling people that their Hoover isn't a Hoover?

If BC is that arrogant, then it's still on them....

Saying "I've finished the work", does not mean that the certification process ends. Changes to the approved plans, further information, confirmation of details from previous inspections may all be required. Whether the inspector wants to visit is different to you requesting a visit.

IIRC, we used to require the applicant to request an occupancy inspection, ie the work is complete and ready to be used.

No really, it’s down to the homeowner to comply.

Which I did. They were called and notified that it was complete.

So comply suggests that they should know what comes next. I can't physically collect the man myself and do his job for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back