Completion Certificate

Saying "I've finished the work", does not mean that the certification process ends. Changes to the approved plans, further information, confirmation of details from previous inspections may all be required. Whether the inspector wants to visit is different to you requesting a visit.

IIRC, we used to require the applicant to request an occupancy inspection, ie the work is complete and ready to be used.

Exactly, so why they did nothing after will remain a mystery.......

Sponsored Links
If BC are involved and have already visited the build then it seems obvious to me that once they have been informed the build is complete they either issue a completion certificate or, if required, they revisit the build and then issue the completion certificate. It is rediculous to expect the homeowner to tell BC how to do their job.

Which I did. They were called and notified that it was complete.
It sounds to me like you have not requested a completion visit. Not unusual. These visits are distinct and take a wee bit of time to plan.
Bad luck, really.

If BC are involved and have already visited the build then it seems obvious to me that once they have been informed the build is complete they either issue a completion certificate or, if required, they revisit the build and then issue the completion certificate. It is rediculous to expect the homeowner to tell BC how to do their job.

Yep, they've inspected the foundations, steels etc.

What else would one do with a completed extension? :D

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like you have not requested a completion visit. Not unusual. These visits are distinct and take a wee bit of time to plan.
Bad luck, really.

So I've called building control, told them we've finished. Asked them if they're coming to inspect it, they said no.

What did they think I was asking them?

They are at fault.

The homeowner is given an information pack. This details the specifics of the inspection criteria. The onus is always on the homeowner to ensure that visits are undertaken. It’s no good telling building control that you have done all the work.
You have to request a completion visit.

Sorry, but that is NOT asking for a completion visit.

No need to apologise.

So, if they're asked if they're coming to inspect a finished extension, what other reasons would that be? Inspecting a finished extension? Tea party? BBQ?

No need to apologise.

So, if they're asked if they're coming to inspect a finished extension, what other reasons would that be?
I’m not saying you feel mislead. All I’m saying is that you never requested a completion visit. You are not alone. Now you know.(y)

The homeowner is given an information pack. This details the specifics of the inspection criteria. The onus is always on the homeowner to ensure that visits are undertaken. It’s no good telling building control that you have done all the work.
You have to request a completion visit.
I didn't get an information pack for my new roof. The inspector turned up halfway through the work and left after being on site less than 5 minutes, he stared at the roof from inside, didn't ask any questions and said he was happy. He asked for photos of the roof when completed, which he now has. I am waiting for a completion certificate which I have been told can take many weeks to be provided.

I’m not saying you feel mislead. All I’m saying is that you never requested a completion visit. You are not alone. Now you know.(y)

Well I did. I called them, told them we've completed the work and asked if they're coming for a final visit. They didn't.

I didn't get an information pack for my new roof. The inspector turned up halfway through the work and left after being on site less than 5 minutes, he stared at the roof from inside, didn't ask any questions and said he was happy. He asked for photos of the roof when completed, which he now has. I am waiting for a completion certificate which I have been told can take many weeks to be provided.
Yours is not an extension with multiple visits and many compliant components. That’s what the completion visit if for to ensure that glass is toughened, and the fans are working and the electrics comply etc.

Talking of 'the electrics comply', I even asked BC if they wanted the certificate, they weren't interested in that either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back