compression fittings leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have struggled twice recently with leaking compression fittings.
Are these fittings now of poor quality? The merchants always say, use ptfe tape, which is not always that simple when you are up against a brick wall and behind a soil pipe.
My last fix was to buy some Boss jointing paste. I think it has stopped leaking but this shouldn't really be necessary, should it?
Later when I looked closely at the copper pipe I noticed very fine grooves down the length, probably from a faulty die in the manufacture. So the pipe quality is also suspect. Could the fine grooves allow leaking past the olives? Anybody else noticed this or had similar problems?

Sponsored Links
No need for tape on compressions, if your fittings are crap, buy `em somewhere else, no disrespect but are you fitting them properly?....

3. A suitable jointing compound should be
applied to the sealing faces prior to tightening
up the compression nuts. Sealants with PTFE
fillers are preferred. Alternatively PTFE tape
may be used.

cut from the IMI website ;)

As I have said... no need for tape, paste or anything on compression fittings, that`s why they are called `compression` fittings, if you understand compression, you`ll be sorted ;)

Sponsored Links
I've used good and bad fittings, the bad ones are usually made ok by copper olives, and a smear of jointing compound is no bad thing, cures the scratches on the pipe. There is the ideal, then there is the practical.

If you have to seal a compression fitting with any sort of paste/ tape whatever, it`s a crap fitting, personally I just change it, not rocket science..... ;)

Jeeez, O.K. thought we were talking about little brass compression fittings on a little copper pipe, use wot the f*ck you like, paste, sellotape, superglue, silicone whatever prevents the fitting from leaking....that reply o.k. :?: Everybody happy....

we are talking about helping the poster out with his problem
and if imi (who have been making the things for 30 year) say a smear of paste should be used then it is ok

this site is not here for your personal gratification

it is supposed to be to HELP PEOPLE so if you cant handle the concept may i suggest you p off into general chat :evil:

:eek: :eek: bit severe matey.... :eek: o.k. use the frikkin` paste, no need for all out war to break out.... :eek: :eek:

and not only that I would never dream of using a compression fitting without paste, you can guaratee the thing will leak if you don't, and besides what does it cost :LOL:

Fair point.... not arguing....fine....just don`t use anything meself...never had probs....don`t want to get into a heated debate, just thought if the guy is having probs with his fittings at different jobs, mightn`t be the fittings..... just a thought.... ;)

doitall said:
and not only that I would never dream of using a compression fitting without paste, you can guaratee the thing will leak if you don't, and besides what does it cost :LOL:

exept when you snatch it live m8 :LOL: ;)

But LSX is silicone isn't it? It's really awful when you have to rework a joint stuck up with the stuff. The ordinary jointing pastes work fine, and reworking is easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back