compression fittings leaking

Sponsored Links
I never ever thought that I would ever agree on anything with this Trainee Gas man!

However I do have to say that, in my view, with a good quality compression fittings, with copper olives, no other jointing material is necessary.

Having said that, many of the available fittings are not very well made. A common evidence of this is that they click or jerk as they are being tightened up.

Although I will virtually never use jointing compound or PTFE tape on a new fitting, I will often use a little silicone grease on the mating surfaces and particularly on the threads to reduce friction.

On an old or troublesome fitting I use PTFE tape around the olive. Many students put it around the nut threads where it has no function at all.

Tony Glazier

I use nothing on gas and lsx on water, especially if its on someting like a mid position valve on the ground floor of a 3 storey house :!:

Agile said:
I never ever thought that I would ever agree on anything with this Trainee Gas man!

However I do have to say that, in my view, with a good quality compression fittings, with copper olives, no other jointing material is necessary.

Having said that, many of the available fittings are not very well made. A common evidence of this is that they click or jerk as they are being tightened up.

Although I will virtually never use jointing compound or PTFE tape on a new fitting, I will often use a little silicone grease on the mating surfaces and particularly on the threads to reduce friction.

On an old or troublesome fitting I use PTFE tape around the olive. Many students put it around the nut threads where it has no function at all.

Tony Glazier
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
But LSX is silicone isn't it?
I'm with oilman on this one!
Using a similar quality silicone is no more bad practice than using Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner in the bathroom or vice versa. The stuff does the same job it just doesnt know what room it is in!
Silicone was created for the space and air industry. Then they, actually not this They but another they looked at other places it could be used, added colouring and started using it for rocker box gaskets on cars etc a.k.a. 'Silicone RTV® instant gasket'. Then eventually the construction industry were sold it and some bright spark @ fernox decided they could get more money for less silicone by marketing it as LSX

Quote:
But LSX is silicone isn't it?
I'm with oilman on this one!

But silicone isn't just silicone. It's a loose term, and there are zillions of variations. LS-X sets much softer than sanitary stuff, and comes apart easily. I've seen decorators use sanitary on rad valves - it really doesn't want to come off.

I don't like LS-X becasue of the suicide lid - always breaks at the circle where they make it extra weak.
I use sealant sometimes - when I think it would help. I prefer the ones with a brush in the lid, and ptfe in the compound. They include Swan-seal, Virgin White and Slic-Tite, for gas threads too.

i have to agree they need to sort out a better holder for LSX as it always sets and you have a nightmare getting it out after a while :rolleyes:

After 46 years I'm not about to change :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Applying paste give a water proof joint and piece of mind every time, end of story.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doitall said:
After 46 years I'm not about to change :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Applying paste give a water proof joint and piece of mind every time, end of story.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

do you use boss white and where do you smear the paste on the thread are the olive

I use Jet Blue on the pipe end just before the olive, Boss white is ok for heating but not domestic water

Dont recall compression fittings 46 years ago

First i used was simplefix about 30 years ago

just need nip up to work ok

i save up all the hard grease out of blocked sink wastes and use that...easy to apply...cheap...enviromently friendly...smells good

Maybe not..Jet Blue for me, as said already, compression should not need it but i feel it helps as sometimes i've had leaks when not used and then seem to have to really tighten the nut to stop it

gazthepottertonengineer said:
i bet you use Hemp as well Do it All instead of PTFE :LOL:

How much ya wanta bet m8 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

for all Mi fittings up to and including 67mm I use Loctite 55 string.

The norm for heating, hot and cold services, and gas above 54mm (2") would be welded flanges or brazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back