compression fittings leaking

Sponsored Links
gazthepottertonengineer said:
:LOL: wot about the blow lamps you used to literally have to blow down to solder :?:

Lost me now :confused: :confused:

Had a petrol one, then a parrafin one, then a gas one which is still going strong from the early 60s :LOL: :LOL: Bulfinch is the makers.

parrafin one some old boy showed me once you had a tube which you had to blow down to make it hotter it was standard BG equipment at one time apparantely :LOL: dont ask me though i was born in 1973 :p

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
blowpipe used meths mate

still got mine somewhere :eek: :eek:

Perhaps thats what Gaz was thinking ml8.

Take a swig light a match and blow on the fitting :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all that. I'm only a diy'er but have used yorkshire fittings and compression fittings successfully for a long time. The compression fittings without any tape or paste and I have only had problems since my last purchase. The pipe and the fittings came from a large diy outlet.
The paste was Boss super green 'with ptfe' from the plumbers merchant!
I have just crawled into my loft to check and two are still leaking!
Just a spot on piece of kitchen roll, no drips.

and the answer came back

DONT BUY FITTING'S FROM SHEDS

BTW plumbers merchants are cheaper as well :LOL: :LOL:

give them a nip if not tape them

if not bin them :cry: :cry: :cry:

The word shed now has a new meaning for me.
Is this where 'ban all sheds comes from' ?

A 'nip' means tighten it up ?
Tried that. Binning means starting again.
Will try the tape and the paste first.

There is one joint which a lot of people have a problem with. My trainee asked about it recently and I was not confident that my reply was the end of the story.

A standard hot water cylinder has a parallel male 28 mm thread for the heating coil connection. The fitment used to connect with is a 28 mm female, again with a parallel thread.

Since these are often found leaking then there is clearly a deficiency in the way these connections are often made.

What do you use and how confident are you with the joint?

Tony Glazier

cu 68 or cu69 try to avoid female irons as they do leak with ptfe but never leak with hemp and paste[jet blue]

bripl said:
cu 68 or cu69 try to avoid female irons as they do leak with ptfe but never leak with hemp and paste[jet blue]

Hemp m8 thats worse than lead washers :LOL: :LOL:

I bet you stick your finger through the fitting to make sure the coil doesn't twist when you put the 2ft stillson to work :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back