confused about clearance under bath / bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I am refitting my bathroom. I have a P shaped bath with long side panel.

When we positioned the bath, we had adjusted the legs so that it just accomodated the bottle trap above the floor, but now the height of the bath is 60mm higher than the bath panel. I can lose 10mm from floor tiles, but what then?

I have a pop up waste, then a shallow bottle trap, which is only just clearing the floor, this must be a common problem?

The old bath had a plinth of wood under the panel, but this is not possible with a P shaped bath.

Sponsored Links
just put down 18mm WBP. I could cut a hole for the trap, but i was hoping there would be a simpler answer.

These baths (from major DIY store) must be designed to take a trap etc.

Sponsored Links
It's a bit like looking for a simpler way of unlocking your door, rather than just using the key!

As Kevin says, usually you cut / dig / chisel out a hole for the trap to sit in.

I lifted a floorboard on mine.

Only a suggestion but if the outlet pipe & trap are at a fixed height what about making a plinth using 2"*4" wood clad with water resistant ply of chipboard and use it as a step
if u have room [/u]

Thanks for the help.

One possible complication:

Bathroom is on first floor. Waste out of the wall comes out just above the extension. Waste pipe is coming through flush with the flat roof. (i am saying this, to explain that I cant lower the waste pipe).

If I lower the trap, then the out from the trap will be lower / about level with the waste pipe. Will this be ok? The waste will still be lower than the plug hole.

As long as the water level is below the ring catcher, I can't see it causing any problems in practice as long as all joints are secure.

Also you can get P-traps with a shorter....(umm)...upright bit, which will raise the outlet in relation to the underside of the bath.

used to fit McAlpine FSK10 bath trap and overflow, but would i be right in saying a bath trap now needs a 75mm water seal if connected to a soil stack, less if into a gulley drain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back