Confusing ceiling rose - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at my wits end with this light fitting. We’ve been living in this house for 3 months and come across quite a few failed DIY jobs from the previous owners, and unsafe electrics. I’m trying to fit a new light fitting in the kitchen and was surprised to find four wires (not including the earth) - blue, brown, black with a brown sleeve and black with no sleeve. There’s also a bit of red in there but the wire isn’t exposed. The previous fitting was connected to all 4 wires but I can’t remember how. And the new fitting is from ikea and their little white boxes that you put the wires in are really weird looking and I feel like I won’t be able to get all the wires to stretch. Is it obviously to anyone how I should be connecting this?! Please help:( I tried just the brown and the blue but the light won’t work. I’m absolutely clueless

Attachments

• 44F5D57B-72C3-42C0-B108-EE8DBCC78598.jpeg
    44F5D57B-72C3-42C0-B108-EE8DBCC78598.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 962BFC78-9BC6-44EE-863F-137EF9FE4314.jpeg
    962BFC78-9BC6-44EE-863F-137EF9FE4314.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Great photos

Where’s the one showing the connections before you pulled it apart?
As in the previous connections from the previous fitting? I wish I had taken one. The first photo is the new fitting I’m working with. No idea what should go where when there’s more than one of each of L/N involved.

Yes. I know that.
Sorry to be unsympathetic. There’s more going on in that ceiling that you have shown us.
But if you pulled more cable down, it might help a bit..

Do you have a two probe voltage test device, or a multimeter?

If not, then I’m afraid you are going to need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Is the light fitting one of two that is operated by the same switch ?

First thing to do is take that light fitting back to IKEA

I would suggest:
One black is neutral,
The other is switched live.
As there are two reds in a connector.
Subject to confirmation from the OP of a second fitting, the brown and blue to sw live and neutral.

The style of terminal box looks like what would be typical of a metal-cased class 2 fitting, metal-cased class 2 fittings are problematic because to retain the class 2 status electrical connections and single-insulated wires need to remain enclosed within the terminal box, which is generally far too small to support typical UK wiring practices. From the style of the fitting I suspect it is made of metal.

But if it is a metal cased class 2 fitting then the wires that form part of the fitting should also be sheathed as they run through the fitting to the terminal block.

That leaves a few possibilities.

1. There is an earth terminal somewhere that is not visible in the photo.
2. The fitting is not in-fact made of metal.
3. The fitting is a substantad peice of junk.

I think 3 is probably the most likely interpretation, though without better pictures I can't rule-out the others completely.

The style of terminal box looks like what would be typical of a metal-cased class 2 fitting, metal-cased class 2 fittings are problematic because to retain the class 2 status electrical connections and single-insulated wires need to remain enclosed within the terminal box, which is generally far too small to support typical UK wiring practices. From the style of the fitting I suspect it is made of metal.

But if it is a metal cased class 2 fitting then the wires that form part of the fitting should also be sheathed as they run through the fitting to the terminal block.

That leaves a few possibilities.

1. There is an earth terminal somewhere that is not visible in the photo.
2. The fitting is not in-fact made of metal.
3. The fitting is a substantal piece of junk.

I think 3 is probably the most likely interpretation, though without better pictures I can't rule-out the others completely.
I don’t think Ikea sell substantial pieces of junk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back