Conlock conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used Conlock conduit system?

It does not need to be threaded, so may be useful for a little external job I have planned. I just wondered if it earths properly - the test certs says it does, but I just wondered if anyone has any actual experience of it.

Demon Cato | Conlok Conduit System

Sponsored Links
It does not need to be threaded, so may be useful for a little external job I have planned. I just wondered if it earths properly - the test certs says it does, but I just wondered if anyone has any actual experience of it.
Not me, I'm afraid. As you imply, one can but assume/believe that the earth continuity is satisfactory.

However, since it is "a little external job", you might want to consider the fact that non-threaded joints may not be anything like 'waterproof'.

Kind Regards, John

The manufacture states to add some CT1 sealant to get the IP rating to match threaded conduit.

I'd just thread up a bit of galv myself, but then, I'm a bit old-fashioned....

Sponsored Links
Although you earth the pipe, usually a seperate earth would be run within anyway, If you have concerns about the pipe, you could add bonding leads between the boxes using the 4mm holes, etc

I have used it, and it’s all that the UKs largest electrical contractor uses now. It’s horrible stuff in my opinion but then I’m also old fashioned and was brought up with threaded tube and fittings.

it’s all that the UKs largest electrical contractor uses now.
Deskilling the job, and saving time.

Two ways to pay their employees less.

How are they doing with rolling out prefabricated wiring systems I wonder.

Seen it in trendy pubs.

Threaded tube for me every time, is it really that hard to put a thread on??

Wouldn't dream of using this conduit as this earth, and wouldn't be too keen running singles in it either - just seems flimsy and unreliable.

May suit a DIYer doing the inside of his garage, but that's about it.

It's like the old plumbers don't like push fit or plastic and old flat roofers don't like EPDM - although it has better performance.

But if you don't have the gear for threading conduit, and the job does not warrant getting hold of it, if Conlock does continuously earth, then I can't see why not.

And just to upset the oldun's even more, I'd be using WAGO connectors too!

It's for a few lights on the outside gable of the house.

...But if you don't have the gear for threading conduit, and the job does not warrant getting hold of it, if Conlock does continuously earth, then I can't see why not.
For what it's worth, nor do I (when there is a 'need' - see below)
And just to upset the oldun's even more, I'd be using WAGO connectors too!
There's nothing wrong with Wagos :)
It's for a few lights on the outside gable of the house.
... which seems to beg the question as to why you feel the need for metal conduit of any sort?

Kind Regards, John

which seems to beg the question as to why you feel the need for metal conduit of any sort?
The cable needs to be external, and I don't want bare cable running along waving in between clips, it always looks a bit amateurish. Likewise for plastic conduit as the gable gets a lot of sun all day (when we do get sun). My OCD likes orderly lines.

Deskilling the job, and saving time.

Two ways to pay their employees less.

How are they doing with rolling out prefabricated wiring systems I wonder.

The last few new build schools I have worked on all use plug and play wiring. Basically flex thrown in a basket above the suspended ceiling with a little splitter box above each light or socket. All the flex comes in pre-terminated lengths of 1,2,3,5,10,20m etc. The only on site termination is the switch and socket fronts.

Even the boards are pre wired off site and the final circuits just plugged in.

AB4FACFA-C796-427A-A50B-E35DA1993E16.jpeg
786FEEC7-0C07-4D67-A30A-E0AEC61EF42D.jpeg

Due to industrial action at Hinckley point they have currently suspended plans to introduce a 6 week “containment installation” course and qualification. As it stands N.G. Bailey and Balfour Kilpatrick are still planning to go ahead with this.

https://www.pbctoday.co.uk/news/hr-skills-news/electrician-deskilling-dispute/89678/

The cable needs to be external, and I don't want bare cable running along waving in between clips, it always looks a bit amateurish. Likewise for plastic conduit as the gable gets a lot of sun all day (when we do get sun). My OCD likes orderly lines.
Fair enough - that's obviously all up to you. All I can say is that most people would probably find a way of doing it neatly enough (for them!) without using metal conduit.

I suppose one of the issues is that you say "the cable needs to be external". In such a situation, I would try everything I could to avoid that - I, too, like 'neatness', and 'nothing visible' is even neater than visible conduit!

Kind Regards, John

All the flex comes in pre-terminated lengths of 1,2,3,5,10,20m etc.
I predict that sooner or later some under-skilled, under-trained person is going to decide that only having the longest lengths will produce admin savings that outweigh material costs, as "too long is better than too short" and there'll be induction heaters installed in floor and ceiling voids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back