Conlock conduit

Are you surprised that house builders are now being forced to actually do something properly?
I think that might call for a debate about the meaning of "properly" - and, indeed, about what it is that they are trying to "do" ("properly").

If you're talking about builders being forced to build 'disposable ("single-use") houses' properly, then I suppose I wouldn't be surprised.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think that might call for a debate about the meaning of "properly" - and, indeed, about what it is that they are trying to "do" ("properly").

If you're talking about builders being forced to build 'disposable ("single-use") houses' properly, then I suppose I wouldn't be surprised.

Kind Regards, John
Whe I see the number of 70's and 80's properties which have been demolished I can not but agree and then when I see the poor standards of brand new build methods and worse the quality of the unskilled workers now doing the work with their CCL [DGAS] attitude, I seriously wonder how many of those will disappear even quicker. Then I look at the number of 100year old properties in my area without cracks or subsidance...

Last edited:
Whe I see the number of 70's and 80's properties which have been demolished I can not but agree and then when I see the poor standards of brand new build methods and worse the quality of the unskilled workers now doing the work with their CCL [DGAS] attitude, I seriously wonder how many of those will disappear even quicker. Then I look at the number of 100year old properties in my area without cracks or subsidance...
[do I take it that the bit I've highlighted should not have the "not"? ]

Yes, all agreed.

Kind Regards, John

The "not" belongs there. I think it's one of those things where it doesn't mean what it might look like.
I can not but agree --> I can't but agree --> I can't not agree --> I agree
English is such an intetesting language :D

Sponsored Links
The "not" belongs there. I think it's one of those things where it doesn't mean what it might look like.
I can not but agree --> I can't but agree --> I can't not agree --> I agree
You seem to be regarding the 'but' as meaning 'not', but when I say or write "I can but agree", I mean "I can only agree" (aka "I agree").
English is such an intetesting language :D
It is - and even more so if you are right (in saying that what I've said/.written all my life {as above} is 'wrong') :)

Kind Regards, John

I can not but agree. = I can not (do anything) except agree. = I agree.

I can not but agree. = I can not (do anything) except agree. = I agree.
You all seem 'agreed' :)

Does that make me the only who who uses "I can but agree" to mean "I can only agree" (i.e. a slightly 'stronger' version of "I agree")?

Kind Regards, John

Does that make me the only who who uses "I can but agree" to mean "I can only agree" (i.e. a slightly 'stronger' version of "I agree")?
As BS3036 says; but does not mean only here; it means except.
It seems that I am at least not alone. If one Googles "can but agree" (with the quotes) one finds many examples of the "but" being used to mean "only". Somewhat confusingly, in some places one finds both 'versions' mentioned, such as ...

upload_2021-3-5_23-43-25.png

Edit: see addition in next post (can't paste images using 'edit'!)

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
...it actually seems that whether "but" as an adverb (which is presumably how we're using it when it qualifies 'can agree') means "only", and that it is when it is used as a preposition that it means "except":

upload_2021-3-5_23-46-39.png

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back