Connection problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is driving me nuts.

I've got a Siemens se5587 router. If I turn it off in the evening and then switch it on in the morn, sometimes it wont connect. It's taken over 3 hours to connect this morn. I have 2 puters and they both show in those little telly things that it's connected , when it's not.

The wlan and adsl lights flash on the router until it eventually connects.
I've tried in different sockets, different cables, unplugged the phones, yet nothing seems to get it going sometimes.

I've unplugged it, un-cabled it then re- plugged and cabled and still no difference.
I'm on Tiscali or talk talk as it is now.

I know, I know I could leave it plugged in all the time but that's not what I want.

Sponsored Links
I know it's not what you want but it would be better to leave the router on, and even turn the computers off instead? Although I take your point. It should not take more than 5 minutes or so to connect once it's turned back on.
What way is it encrypted?

Sponsored Links
It's the same reason that I don't want to leave my television on or my satellite receiver or my digibox or my computer or my microwave or my oven timer or my speakers or my lights or my radio.

Power consumption.

Are they all the same, or should I buy a new one.

I doubt one little router is going to start a fire for you when I draw >1kW 24/7 and I haven't had any fires in the last ten years, but sure, use that excuse..

As for replacing it: It may or may not help, it's pot luck. ADSL is an.. imperfect technology. The problem is probably that it's hanging up in negotiation with BT's DSLAM. Changing router may help, it may not, the new one may not even work. Trying to get BT to help with problems caused by misconfigured DSLAMs is a dead end.

If I were you I'd just leave it on. It won't cost you anything (seriously, you spend more money boiling a kettle than leaving it on is going to cost you), and it really isn't a fire risk.

Just fyi: Your computers are right: THEY are connected to the network. Doesn't mean your router is connected to the internet.

O.k. Thanks.

However...When it was on the window sill, it rippled the paint up underneath as it was that hot.

Also, I don't leave my kettle on . ;)

No, but your kettle pulls something like 2kW for several minutes. A router is a tiny tiny fraction of that.

If your router runs that hot I'd replace it before it fails. Nothing in it will be rated above 85C, probably more like 75C. None of it should be running at anything like that temperature.

Maybe I'm at the forefront of technology here but it can't be right to be leaving stuff in standby these days, so time something was done about routers. Most folks switch stuff off at night now.

Mind you, there's still a few around with money to burn eh. :)

Maybe I'm at the forefront of technology here but it can't be right to be leaving stuff in standby these days, so time something was done about routers. Most folks switch stuff off at night now.

Mind you, there's still a few around with money to burn eh. :)
Do they? my desktop computer never gets switched off, 24/7 365 days it.s come to no harm.

If people want to give money to the power companies, then that's their decision.

I turn my puters off. I find it's easy to do as I just press a switch.
That's my decision.

Something to be aware of; as a result of problems I have been having with my BT Broadband service & Vision I learned very recently that you should not keep resetting your hub (by turning it off). Because of the way BT automatically monitors its network (BRAS), continual hub resets makes the exchange think your line is unstable & your synchronisation speed & your speed (IP) profile will be continually reduced; I’ve been monitoring my connection for over a month now with BT & continual resetting can reduce your sync speed to 1/2 or even 1/3 of what it should be in some cases. It doesn’t matter who your ISP is either, BT owns & runs the network; power consumption is minimal & the advice is leave your hub connected 24/7.

Growler your router shouldn't be getting so hot as to damage paintwork. In fact it shouldn't really be getting hot at all. Warm is about as warm as it should get. I reckon it's faulty. I think you should have it replaced. However, I agree with Richard C. I think to get the best out of your internet service and to stop any hassle, you should leave your router on. It's really no different to leaving your landline telephone on, and it will make sure it stays connected. It won't use enough power to be a fire hazard or to damage the environment. And if you wish you can continue to turn your computers off, as they seem to be able to find the router without any hassle.

Sponsored Links
Back