Problem with internet connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Back here...

I'm posting here as I'm thinking this must be a driver problem, but I stand to be corrected if not.

I have a PC with a EP-9NDA3+ MoBo.

It was running Ubuntu with a working connection to the net.

Now I've reinstalled Win XP (the son cannot run certain games using Ubuntu... :rolleyes: ) and now the net connection has gone.

I've checked all the settings, they seem OK. I even have a network icon that shows a connection, but it still shows a connection when the Cat 6 is unplugged... :?:

I have been pointed to this site for drivers:

http://sites.google.com/site/nf2stuff/

I have tried the Cat 6 plugged into another PC and it connects to the net fine.

What have I done? Can you help please?

EDIT: The network port is onboard: Could the MoBo be goosed?

EDIT II: I have discovered that sometimes no leds illuminate on the port, and sometimes there's a green one illuminated.

EDIT III: I have looked up network adapter details and there's no IP address or other details in there.

EDIT IV: USB sockets not working, either.

What's going on?? Is it purely a driver issue?

Sponsored Links
Go into Device Manager and make sure the Network Card is correctly identified and has the drivers installed. If that bit is OK, open a Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL The IP address should be in the same "series" as your router (normally 192.168.x.x) and the gateway should be your router address. If the IP address is something like 169.254.X.X, then your router is not handing our DHCP addresses correctly, so try rebooting the router (or any device acting as a DHCP server). If that does not work, manually input into the computer an IP address (in the correct range) (suggest the last bit is around 120, so 192.168.1.125 would be a good value) along with the subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway, your router IP address. Set the DNS values to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if you then can connect.

Edit: If the USB ports are not working, it is VERY likely to be missing or invalid drivers. Go to the MoBo manufacturers site and download the drivers for that board.

Thanks. First, I have now discovered that there are 10 USB sockets on this machine, of which only 2 work. So that's not an issue now.

I went into Device Manager and discovered the following:

Driver provider: MS corp.

Date: 03/08/04

Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Driver location: C:\WINDOWS/system32/drivers/nic1394.sys

Typing IPCONFIG/ALL as a command prompt just brings up the words, "Windows IP Configuration"...

Don't know how to manually input IP addresses.

I have also pinged the ISP's server, with the result x4 : "DESTINATION UNREACHABLE".

Their IP is 192.168.1.254

I have also attempted to repair 1394- the result was an error message:

"Failed to query TCP/IP settings - cannot proceed".

So, in summing up this issue:

1. I can't find any IP address settings on the system.

2. The leds on the port are not illuminating as they should.

3. The network icon shows a connection all the time, even when the Cat6 is unplugged.

4. I cannot ping the server successfully, yet the Cat 6 cable connects to the net on another PC.

5. The command prompt IPCONFIG/ALL is not bringing anything up.

6. Failed to query TCP/IP settings.

Any ideas? I'm well and truly stumped. :evil:

I have however solved a problem with the installation where the \ key was producing the Yen symbol... I DBAN'd the HDD and reinstalled Win XP. I thought this may be an issue because all the addresses containing "\" were replaced with the Yen symbol, but no....:rolleyes:

Thanks, people.

Sponsored Links
Dang it, I noticed there was an audio driver missing, so installed it. Hey presto, the internet works.... :?:

However, it was unstable and crashed regularly, so I upgraded IE to version 8 and it seems to be OK now.

This has happened before and I'll never understand why a seemingly unrelated software issue causes a conflict elsewhere in a system.

Is it just me or is it Microsoft?

Thanks.

Back