Consumer unit problem or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My daughter has just moved into a three bed house circa 1900 that has a consumer unit fitted, her issue is when she switches on the tumble dryer the main switch on the CU trips out but some ceiling lights remain on, she then resets the main switch turns on the tumble dryer and all works OK this happens every time she uses the tumble dryer.
I'm guessing that as some of the room lights remain on when the main switch trips there is a problem with the CU??

Geoff

Sponsored Links
Photos would be useful.

If it really is the main switch that is going off then everything should go out/off/stop. Someone would have to be very ingenious and either determinedly reckless or incredibly incompetent to wire up a CU so that some circuits did not go through the main switch.

Either these lights are on a different CU, or (and I think this is the likeliest scenario) what is tripping is an RCD which only covers some circuits, not all of them.

What's the provenance of the drier? Did she bring it with her, did it come with the property, is it new etc?

I'll get some photo's when I go to visit, the tumble dryer she brought with her when she moved in, it worked fine at the previous house.

I would guess it is a RCD tripping and likely there are two in the consumer unit at least. It is likely the tumble drier faulty rather than the installation however that is not always the case. Heavy power users like a tumble drier can high light earth neutral faults with lower powered items so if the toaster is left plugged in and it has a fault the fault may not be bad enough to trip power when toaster is used but will when the high powered tumble drier is used.

You need to note what else is on that circuit and ensure any Class I items (they have an earth) are unplugged not just switched off. Then retest.

Sponsored Links
The
main switch on the CU
that trips. Does it have a test switch on it like this?
R8929489-01.jpg

If so, its a good bet that there is something wrong with the tumble dryer.
She needs to call an APPLIANCE REPAIR PERSON
or buy a new dryer.

Looking like dad has to buy a new dryer, when I go down I'll take our dryer and plug that in its a fairly new one and works fine so if it's ok down there it had to be the dryer

Is it an HMO? If so, perhaps the lights are supplied from another flat. Saw that when my daughter was first at Liverpool University.

Latest update following my visit last night, tumble dryer appears to be working fine tried it in other sockets no problems.
Turned off the main switch on the consumer unit and the upstairs lights remained on!! Everything went off wall sockets, down stairs lights, immersion heater and shower over the bath except the upstairs lighting.
Turned it all back on and flipped off the rcd for the upstairs lighting and it stayed on so calling in a professional to sort it out.
Thank you to all who took the time to read and offer solutions it has been much appreciated.

Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back