Converting a room into a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering converting a room into a garage and looking for guidance.

The room was originally a garage but was converted approx. 15 years ago. The physical size of the "building/room" does not change only its purpose (reverting back to former use!)

The intention is to create a double garage which is adjoined to the house but would not have any access from the house. There would be a front double door and a rear "pedestrian" door (exists) to allow entry/exit into the yard.

Obvious tasks are:
  1. remove window and wall below - to (re)create opening for door.
  2. remove internals - fixtures and fittings.
  3. Block off existing internal door into garage.
Other than being reduced in size, the house will have a front and rear door, etc.

Is planning permission required, any special fire or environmental issues, etc.

I can see plenty of examples of converting garage into a room but not the reverse.

Thanks for any guidance.

Sponsored Links
Concrete (the original garage floor) albeit now carpeted, etc.

Ps, thank you

Sponsored Links
i cant see you having any problems, i bet the windows the same width as a standard garage door too, when it was converted into a room how did they construct the inner skin? and does this have to be taken out? if theres room id leave it in place also the fixtures and fittings, its handy to have lights and sockets in a garage.

the floor is likely to be higher at the front than origional if it has been leveled

Hi,

The original doorway (measuring 5.1m wide x 2.1m tall has been bricked up to form an external door and window. The floor level seems pretty much the same inside and outside of doorway - nothing that can not be easily be overcome.

As previously stated it is potentially putting things back (and as suggested retaining a few features - electrics, etc). Don't think I'll keep the gas fire!!

So, do people think planning permission is required? By concern/question is based upon change of use and/or changing the frontage (door/window/door for garage door). I've tried looking on planning sites etc but they only discuss room to garage conversion and they SEEM to require minimal permission if any.

i would say no planing required round here, but all councils have their own different sets rules, have you looked on your local councils website?
id leave the gas fire in just in case you want to work on the car in the winter :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back