Converting old Fuse type consumer boxes to plug in mcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that you can convert plug in wire fuses with plugin mcb's can any body help please :?:
Cheers Alan

Sponsored Links
some consumers units will accept plugin mcbs, no conversion required

also helps if we knew what your current (no punn intended) cu is

With the Wylex models you can just remove the fuses & carriers & fit new carriers & mcb's, remember to remove the knock-out from the fuse cover so that you can re-fit it. Just one question though, why do you want to do this, when was the last time you had to re-wire a fuse.

Aye, MCBs provide no great advantage in terms of safety over their rewireable fuse counterparts. They do the same job, just react slightly differently.

and JJ4091, i think the early Wylex's weren't designed with a knockout, since MCBs hadn't been invented yet! ;)

Sponsored Links
I personally don't see the point of spending the money. If you get fuses blowing and it's a hassle to replace the wire, then look at why the fuses are blowing rather than replacing with mcbs.

crafty1289 said:
Aye, MCBs provide no great advantage in terms of safety over their rewireable fuse counterparts. They do the same job, just react slightly differently.

and JJ4091, i think the early Wylex's weren't designed with a knockout, since MCBs hadn't been invented yet! ;)
The brown ones weren't but the little labelling shapes makes it easy to cut out.

Fuses blow when you have a fault on a circuit. Replacing the fuse with an MCB will not cure the fault, just make it easier getting the juice back on.
If you have a problem, get it checked and fixed.

Disagree with Crafty when he says MCBs have no advantage over fuses in terms of safety.
An MCB will trip quicker than a fuse (so reduce the risk of fire).
It's easier to reset an MCB (don't have to fiddle around with fuse wire).
With a fuse, you can just fit thicker wire when you get faults. With an MCB there are no replaceable parts, so they are fixed at their rating.

One thing which may be overlooked when fitting these MCBs as a direct replacement for fuses is the values of maximum efli are different for the two protective types of devices.

Hi

The pins on my old fuse carriers are horizontal like this =
but the ones on the MCB are vertical like this ¦

Does fitting the new shroud take care of this?

thanks

TT

No.

Sounds like you have an MEM fuse box.

Plug in MCBs are not available for this fuse box, and you really don't gain anything by fitting them anyway.

I agree with RF.

I really don't understand the thinking of the "fuses are a fire risk because they can cook for hours" brigade.

An MCB can also cook for hours unless taken above its rating. In fact, fitting a C- or D-type breaker to a 'troublesome' circuit is common practice, yet the disconnection times are worse than if you'd used a fuse carrier.

If you buy 8 of those minitrips you are at the material cost of a new consumer unit in any case.

You'll still need an electrician to check the EFLI of each circuit in any case.

Go for a new board, and get all that loverly built in RCD supplementary protection.

What about RF's wired in 2.5/1.0?

Aren't they safer with a B type than a 3036?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back