Cookers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do any RGI's do cooker repairs?

I often like a change from fitting new / fixing boilers and generally find no independents want do do a repair. I did an FFD on a Cannon Salisbury today and whilst doing it, as my customer had expalined she had phoned 5 companies previously to me who were not interested.

I have now got more work from her - fit a new Multipoint, service the unit heaters and repair the gas fire, and all becuase I could repair her cooker.

I am an RGI and have the cooker, water-heater, warm air, boiler, space heater, tumble drier, analyser, range quals. Obviously the CCN1

The FFD took 45 mins including testing (tightness, operational tests). Capped the fire as it was AR until I can get the time to create the ventilation it requires.

As I said, I just wondered if any other RGI's do cooker repairs. (Tony, I'm not a CC member but can provide my Gassafe no and License No. via email if you wish). I'll be back in Luton in July to see Ray Cochran and Mike when I come up for re-assessment.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Yea when they come along and are financially viable to repair, fitted a new ignition unit on the last one, after checking thats what the problem was.

Never touch them. Filthy awkward things, difficult to get parts, difficult to get apart.

Don't do gas fires either.....

Just do boilers boilers boilers

Sponsored Links
Cookers have now become a throw away item . so people dont bother fixing them .
In the old days i used to do 3 or 4 repairs everyday on cookers ,but when you Put it into perspective the only range cooker was a cannon cordon blue which in 1982 was £1400 and a cheap cooker was around £350 with a good standard cannon cooker being just under £500.
And a repair being about 28 quid it was cost affective now cookers are still around the 450 mark but parts are more expensive and people want a lot more to look at them also the industry is full of heating repair men who have not got a clue about cookers etc.

Also where as you could strip a cooker in minutes they now take ages and rip you apart

Rich kid eh :LOL: :LOL: when they where 1400 quid my average wage was about 100.
Had to carry one up 3 flights of stairs once and that when cookers where more than just spray painted tin

My parents had one. Windscreen wiper motor to make the grill go up and down.

Next time you see a Fawlty Towers repeat, I think there's one in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back