Core drilling through a wall but have hit a problem. PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a core drill to drill through a wall for a boiler flue. I have got so far either side of the wall but have come across something metal between the courses of bricks. Now, this hole is very close to the bottom/back of the above masionettes staircase. I am worried this metal thing in the hole is a bracket for the above staircase?

Can anyone with experience please advise? Is it anything to worry about, and how can I deal with it?

This shows the metal peice when drilling from the outside.
ouh-1.jpg

This shows the hole from inside, and the back of the above staircase. The metal peice can be seen in the hole.
oh-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would normally find metal wall ties in the joints, although I can't quite make out whether this is one or not. Doesn't really look like one.

the "inside" picture isn'te really clear..

as you're intending to put a boiler under the stairs, we assume that you've checked compliance with regard to whatever fire regs require? fire rated boards under the stairs and such?

Looks to me like the 'fish tail' end of an old galv tie iron.

Bad luck.

A boiler under the stairs is not a problem and regular plasterboard offers 30mins fire resistance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, now you mention it, it does resemble a fish tail. Should I leave it be or carry on drilling through. Is the fish tail crucial to the staircase?

And the boiler is not going under the stairs, only the flue:

boiler.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back