Using the core drill to fit flue but have hit a problem. PIC

Sponsored Links
The boiler has a brick wall seperating it from the stairs; it's in a different room.

Can't help but feel this thread has gone slightly off topic lol.

Not so fast gents, just a correction to a correction.
The separation from the boiler and space used as airing cupboard or storage, is still a must.
A boiler directly under a fire escape still brings the need for fire proofiing.
What the situation is with only the flue directly under the stairs, but the boiler on the side of them, depends on the actual lay out.
As there is no drawing of the boiler in relation to the stairs, it becomes anybody's guess.

Sponsored Links
Not so fast gents, just a correction to a correction.
The separation from the boiler and space used as airing cupboard or storage, is still a must.
A boiler directly under a fire escape still brings the need for fire proofiing.
What the situation is with only the flue directly under the stairs, but the boiler on the side of them, depends on the actual lay out.
As there is no drawing of the boiler in relation to the stairs, it becomes anybody's guess.
If it means that much to you then :LOL:

You're too good for this world. :LOL:

All jokes aside, anybody that makes a serious effort to do things by the book, deserves the best advice we can give.
Would be a real bummer if lba made him rip it all out and move it, due to a technicality that could easily have been avoided.

Must admit that I can't picture how the stairs can be against an outside wall, on the inside, the flue going under the stairs, and the boiler being separated from the stairs by another brick wall. :confused:

Does that help?

boiler.jpg

The boiler is on the wall and the flue is passing through the cupboard under the stairs, to get to outside.

I think.

The boiler is on the wall and the flue is passing through the cupboard under the stairs, to get to outside.
Eyesight hasn't gone home yet then dia, you old booger. :LOL:

Yes!

This is in a ground floor masionette, so the stairs are part of the above maisonette. I have access to (from outside) and own the space under their stairs though.

Right, well I'm gonna carry on drilling through tomorrow then, though the core drill doesn't like it being metal and all.

I had guessed that was the situation which I did not find at all un usual.

The core drill should manage fine drilling through the metal of the wall tie.

Dont use so much pressure otherwise it will vibrate on the between segments, just use gentle pressure and let it grind away the metal.

It should only take a few minutes. They are butterfly shaped!

Tony

Yes it looks butterfly shaped, or fish tailed.

My core drill has "teeth" every 90deg. These sort of catch on the metal and jerk the whole drill. I shall try the low pressure method.

Cheers for all the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back