Using the core drill to fit flue but have hit a problem. PIC

Eddie. THat all sounds quite impressive and i am not one for saying people should not do stuff .
But after doing all that how the fek could you not recognise something as simple as a wall tie.

howay

bit like we didn't

till some old hand sitting on the toolbox smoking his pipe said " arr its only a wall tie son give it a belt " ;)

Sponsored Links
Valid point- I just simply have never come across one before. I was scared I had distrubed something to do with the staircase. I can add wall tie my knowledge now.

Everything has been brand new to me and a learning curve since buying this place; no prior experience other than automotive engineering ( I am a defence engineer by trade, and have an aerospace engineering degree).

Sorry for the rant. :oops:

Eddie. THat all sounds quite impressive and i am not one for saying people should not do stuff .
But after doing all that how the fek could you not recognise something as simple as a wall tie.

howay

bit like we didn't

till some old hand sitting on the toolbox smoking his pipe said " arr its only a wall tie son give it a belt " ;)

TBH Roguetrader did:

its a wall tie, either bend it/snap it out or i personnally would just keep blazing thro!

Sponsored Links
Keep up Kev Rogue told him 3 minutes after he posted last night at which stage i was on my 8th pint with 4 hours to go . and i am gonna force myself to do it again tonight :LOL:

eddie dont let people put you off as the majority of it is not rocket science

Cheers Namsag, no I won't/don't.

Oh and I wish it were rocket science, as that's a subject ironically I do have experience in lol :LOL:

Anyway, well done Eddie for getting the work done, asking for help when required (and not blithely carrying on regardless), and coping with the occasional acerbic comment you get from the "professionals" ;)

For the benefit of Mr Cynical I have already successfully:
Calculated the BTU requirements of each room,
Fitted all central heating pipework
Fitted all rads and TRVs
and pressure tested the system.

Not being cynical mate, just kidding; it was more directed at the resident posters managing 3 pages out of: "What is this bit of metal?"

it's amazing what you can acheive from books, advice from mates in the trade and sites like this (most of time).

Very true. In fact, if the advice is good, and people are clever enough to follow the advice to the letter and not fall for the temptation to take shortcuts because it is easier/quicker, it is likely that they end up with a better result than most people have from work that was done by pro's who were in a hurry.

As for taking the pi55 on the forum, bar the odd troll (which is bound to get an earfull from the regulars anyway), it is all done for a laugh and not to be taken seriously or personally.
The amount of :oops: 'ses posted by the regulars far outweighs those of the "amateurs"; my own score is pretty good.

I got the same reception in the electrics forum on this site when I told them I was doing my own complete rewire. Half the people took the p**s knowing nothing about my ability, saying I couldn't/shouldn't do it;

Especially with electrics, there is nothing against doing it all by yourself, only leaving the testing to the pro. As long as there are no invisible junction boxes, everything is inspectable and measurable, and any imperfection will show up clear as a bell.

Gas is slightly different as you can not test the quality of the joints, but there is nothing wrong with you hanging all the rads, piping them up and drilling the hole for the flue. I have done a number or projects exactly like that where I only did the gaspipe and the installation of the actual boiler and flue, and they all work like a dream.

ang on i'll just pull this
bricks1.gif

arghhhh :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Was that little steel thingywhatsit a bit more important than it looked? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back