Using the core drill to fit flue but have hit a problem. PIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a core drill to drill through a wall for a boiler flue. I have got so far either side of the wall but have come across something metal between the courses of bricks. Now, this hole is very close to the bottom/back of the above masionettes staircase. I am worried this metal thing in the hole is a bracket for the above staircase?

Can anyone with experience please advise? Is it anything to worry about, and how can I deal with it?

This shows the metal peice when drilling from the outside.
ouh-1.jpg

This shows the hole from inside, and the back of the above staircase. The metal peice can be seen in the hole.
oh-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
its a wall tie, either bend it/snap it out or i personnally would just keep blazing thro!

I would be seriously looking at the manufacturers installation manual about now, to see if it's acceptable to put a flue there.

I would be seriously looking at the manufacturers installation manual about now, to see if it's acceptable to put a flue there.
Agreed - there are usually clear specifications regarding minimum spacings around both the boiler and the flue.

Sponsored Links
its a wall tie, either bend it/snap it out or i personnally would just keep blazing thro!

That's put my mind at rest, thanks. I had visions of the staircase above collapsing as I take out a crucial anchor point.

The pictures show an "under the stairs" cupboard which the flue passes through to get outside. The boiler is sat on the other side of an internal wall and has the necessary manufacturers clearance all round.

The pictures show an "under the stairs" cupboard which the flue passes through to get outside. The boiler is sat on the other side of an internal wall and has the necessary manufacturers clearance all round.
Provided the gassafe registered installer has checked this and told you he will be happy to install the boiler in this position and sign it off (I assume you're working under his supervision), then that'll be ok then. I take it he has also advised you of any problems of having the boiler within the under-the-stairs cupboard.

dex said:
I take it he has also advised you of any problems of having the boiler within the under-the-stairs cupboard.

op said:
The pictures show an "under the stairs" cupboard which the flue passes through to get outside. The boiler is sat on the other side of an internal wall and has the necessary manufacturers clearance all round..

howay dex put the glass down :LOL:

If that is not your own staircase, like you said, you will have to fire proof the lot if you stick the boiler there.
That means at the very least double plaster board on the underside of the stairs.
Which make and model are you going to have? There could well be other implications that are not spelled out in the manual because they are covered under general GSIUR or building regs.

dex said:
I take it he has also advised you of any problems of having the boiler within the under-the-stairs cupboard.

op said:
The pictures show an "under the stairs" cupboard which the flue passes through to get outside. The boiler is sat on the other side of an internal wall and has the necessary manufacturers clearance all round..

howay dex put the glass down :LOL:
The installer I used advised us that storing towels or hanging coats etc may be considered unsafe under the fire regs. Seemed plausible at the time. More to the point he was concerned about the clearance in front of the boiler (up to the door) to allow access for servicing. :idea:

Right, the boiler itself is not in that "under the stairs" void. The flue just passes through it, as Kevplumb pointed out.

I have had advise from 2 independent plumbers to do it like this, one of whom will be connecting the gas and commisioning the boiler when I'm finished.

edit

Depending on where the boiler is in respect to the stairs, you still may need to fireproof the stairs as it is a means of fire escape.

The installer I used advised us that storing towels or hanging coats etc may be considered unsafe under the fire regs.
The M.I. of every boiler I have ever installed, stated that the boiler had to be separated from spaces used as such by incombustible material.
No maybe about it.

Right, the boiler itself is not in that "under the stairs" void. The flue just passes through it, as Kevplumb pointed out.

I have had advise from 2 independent plumbers to do it like this, one of whom will be connecting the gas and commisioning the boiler when I'm finished.
Good - am just looking out for your safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back