Corgi taking the P?

"The non-reg then called a friend of his who is registered but only when working for Transco"

I'm in a similar position with my employer, and so I simply do not do any private gas work at all. I do however feel that there is an injustice here in that it is clearly not economical for me to register with Corgi just for weekends, high days and holidays, and I think this is a restrictive practice (which is illegal). Neither do I believe that I should get a free meal ticket to do weekend gas work, as that is clearly unfair to fully registered gas operatives.

I would like to see some form of secondary registration with Corgi available at a reduced fee to those whose primary registration is through their Mon-Fri employer. At the moment weekends are cowboy country, and competent persons have to stand and watch it happen, which I feel is all wrong. All the appropiate insurances would have to be in place of course, so I'm not sure the figures would make it worth it anyway, but I would at least like a realistic option available.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Perhaps all gas operatives should be Corgi registered in their own right, rather than being covered by their employer's Registration. It might force Corgi to improve their relations with individual RGIs if there weren't' any major employers getting preferential treatment.

Have you joined ARGI, Alfredo?

I apreciate you rposition Alfredo, but the inertia of the initial overheads would never be worth it for you to overcome. I am fairly certain they aren't worth it for us.

You have to pay first year corgi reg, what's that? £500?

First year electrical certifying body reg. £500? or is it £350 for limited scope I don't know I'm full scope?

This is assuming you have relevant electrical qualifications, if not add £750.

Insurance, if you work alone £450?

This is aslong as you have use of firms van, if not add van lease or purchase, insurance and tax.

Core drill? Other tools?

Advertising?

Forget it. I am really serious the government have completely cocked up, people will be leaving our trade in droves you mark my words. This method of inspection will add fuel to the fire right at a time they need to be trying to get us to stay.

I dont really agree Alfredo.

The training and assessments are the expensive part and for any employed person usually paid by the employer. CORGI is only about £300 pa extra which is £6 per week. A small charge for being legal and being able to do jobs like Gas Safety Certs etc. Insurance is about £200-£300 extra but not essential although common sense.

Many employees are quite happy doing their 40 hours and relaxing for the evenings and weekends watching TV, going to the pub, playing rugby or whatever.

Others however strive for a better standard of living and work for a couple of hours every evening and a day or two at the weekend. Some of those are doing it as a prerequisit for becoming fully self employed. For anyone serious being properly set up is esential in my view and that means having the test equipment, tools, materials and proper credentials like CORGI and insurance.

I have no objection to anyone doing two or three jobs as long as they do it correctly, professionally and legally.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That reminds me test equipment for both trades £1,000 to £1,500 and budget for callibration each year.

And don't tell me you don't need basic electrical qualification equipment and membership of certifying body.

Tony Says

"I have no objection to anyone doing two or three jobs as long as they do it correctly, professionally and legally."

Which is exactly my point. The nature of Corgi registration effectively renders it impractical to use my competencies correctly and professionally outside my employed hours because the amount of work I wish to do is not enough to justify the cost. This plays into the hands of the very people we would like to see marginalised..the cowboys and the illegal gas workers.

Some very competent employed installers I know still do the odd job for friends/family etc, and they are playing on a very sticky wicket, and the regulatory system should not put them in this position. The system should not prevent competent people from working, it should ENABLE them to work. Quite when or in whose time they do the work is entirely irrelevent to issues of competence, as is who pays for the training, which is (or should be) nothing to do with the regulator.

Saw a stack of cheap condensing combis in B&Q tonight...wonder who's going to be installing those over the next few weekends..Nobody I know worth their salt round here as an installer would touch them..which leaves me to ask just who exactly will be installing them ???

Alfredo

OOPS, I think you mean those BIASIs - just put one in this week, but the customer chose it. Came with 6 rads for about £850. What problems can I expect? Should I advise her to get a service contract with a very large British-based Gas company?
Surprised that CORGI make such a deal about the log book, and agree about the need for a compromise between individual and company registrations - they are counting on politicians' ignorance to rake in their fees.

well if you are competent and have installed it as per MI and cleaned the system up like a new whistle you should have none

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back