Could someone tell me the name of this fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm trying to find a fixing that can be screwed into wood that would then accept a 10mm threaded bar to be screwed within it..

I recall them having a weird name and can't for the life of me find them! grrr.

Many thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
A threaded insert, maybe? these have an external RH thread with an internal thread of your choice......usually inserted tightly with an Allen key.
Its critical to drill the correct size fitting hole, and they can be a right pain if they tend to become undone when you remove your threaded screw....
John :)

Burnerman many thanks for the reply mate. I could have swore that they had a more extravagant name than that! ;)

We kept on exaggerating the name so much that non of us can remember the correct name. The most recent that springs to mind is 'muffle danglers!'

Anyway its interesting to hear your experiences with them. I plan to drill them into my pretty expensive oak staircase before bolting a very large and heavy peace of 17.5mm laminated glass to the side!

Any further thoughts or suggestions would be welcome as i'd hate to mess this one up!

Thanks,

Devs.

Sponsored Links
Great thanks for your help!

Excuse my ignorance but is the m10 the size of a bar that it would accept ie 10mm and the 13mm the length of the insert?

M10 is the size of the bolt "threaded bar" that will fit inside the insert and the 13mm is the length of the insert

The size you drill the wood to fit these is 12.2-12.5mm, dont go larger!

They look like just the ticket. thanks for all the help guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back