Crazy People

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Twice in the last week I've met some suicidal folk.

Number 1.

Call-out to "smouldering" CU. Office advised customer to turn off the main switch.

I get there. CU smouldering away merrily, everything still on.

ME: "Did the office advise you to turn off?"

CUSTOMER: "Yes, but I had a Victoria sponge in the oven & my elderly mother's favourite programme was on."

Number 2.

Call-out to no lights. Check for MEB's is made.

No apparent MEB to the water pipe. Inform the customer.

CUSTOMER: "Oh. Will that explain why we keep getting shocks off the sink when we touch the dishwasher?"

ME: "Keep?"

CUSTOMER: "Yes, we've had several."

ME: "And what have you done about the situation?"

CUSTOMER: "We don't touch the sink and the diswasher together any more..."

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
it's really shocking!

I was called out to a property which has recently had the kitchen extended and a new utility room created. 2D fitting in utility working intermittently. opened fitting checked wiring and it was wired so that when you switched it off it was switching the Neutral not the Phase wire!!,btw it was wired in twin brown!!, opened switch and I could hardly look inside as the cores where cut so short it was impossible to get it open properly. no cpc in switch!

Then started checking kitchen wiring and found I had opened a pandoras box. They had two double ovens wired off the original cooker switch! I opened a few Socket Outlets and most came off in my hand as the terminals had not been tightened at all as the cores were again too short!

They hung ceiling lights in the lounge with the cables trapped beneath the fixing plate!

They mounted IP54 rated bathroom lights discarding the cable grommets!

and the list just goes on and on.....

were they called mr and mrs Ariston, and on and on and on, Ariston (from an old tv ad)

Sponsored Links
There is a man who thinks all earth bonding is dangerous because an electrical fault could put electricity into the earth and then all the pipes connected to earth would become dangerous. If there are no wires connecting earth to pipes then the pipes can never become electrified. I half expect I would find the earth bonds have all been removed if I was able to have a look.

Other than science and matters electrical he is a very intelligent and well educated person.

And everything would be a lot safer if those stupid electricity companies did not earth their substations! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back