creating a 'dummy' low pitched roof around a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hideous looking box built out of the side of my house with a flat roof (two first floor bedrooms). I'd really like to improve the look of this by having a "dummy" pitched roof built around the perimeter of the 'box' and blended back into the existing roof.

It wouldn't need to be a full-height roof (and wouldn't look right if it was) but maybe somewhere between 60cm and 1m vertical height (so the actual size would depend on pitch). The lengths are 3m - 9m - 3m. Drainage is from the flat roof sloping back to a gully where it joins the original house.

I've lived with this bloody horror for 20 years, and now I'm selling up and moving somewhere smaller I want it done to help a quick sale (I know I won't get my money back, but it should mean folks will at least view the house!)

I'm assuming this sort of thing is possible - but could anyone give me a clue about the cost? I really do want it done, but it needs to be a sensible "waste" of money :)

Sponsored Links
You are looking at quite a few £000 for this.

It also has to be done (ie designed) properly or else it looks a complete mess. The difficult bit is getting the eaves fascia depth and soffit to look right and be the right proportions - and this normally involves disturbing the flat roof joists .... and ceiling

Then there is drainage from the flat roof to consider

Its not just a case of plonking a pitched roof on around the edges

You may be better off just having it re-felted and if need be have the fascia renewed, and that way the new buyer knows that the roof will be good for 15-20 years

Its not just a case of plonking a pitched roof on around the edges

Ahh. Oh. I confess I did think it would be something like that as I just wanted a cosmetic "dummy" solution to improve the looks as the roof itself is sound (done less than 6 years ago).

"Quite a few £'000" is quite a lot and can be spent better elsewhere, I think!

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, here is a google streetview photo of the protruberance

It's ugly.

It does not look bad at all IMO

The rake of the existing roof in front of it maintains the appearance of the main house, and the square/flatness of the roof harmonises with the square/flatness of the garage door and section of wall around the archway

I would not worry about it

Sponsored Links
Well, ta :)

It should look a bit better when the bright green trim is changed to black and the house painted white (black garage door).

I've always thought it to be awful, but my taste is often questioned! It does sound like it isn't worth many £k to put right.

Ta again

I was going to say, repainting the trip could make it harmonise a lot better.

Pretty bad subsidence on that photo though :rolleyes:

Careful if you paint house white - May look too bright :idea: Consider an off white shade ;)

Thanks for the tip, Nige F. I'm fortunate that next door is white with black trim and to my eyes it looks very 'clean'. I will ask them and find out if it was "brilliant white" they used or some 'off white" however.

Ta muchly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back