Creating threads on metal rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing automatic gear shift stick rod sticks up quite a bit and the gear knob screws on. The gear knob itself is like a nut which screws onto the bolt thread of the rod. I'm thinking if it will be possible to shorten this as there is a big gap between the bottom of the gear knob and the fascia of the centre console. If I cut the rod short I will have to create new thread for the gear knob. Does anyone know how you go about creating new thread?

Sponsored Links
you wind a thread-cutting die onto it.

metric-fine-hss-circular-split-die-64110-presto-1.jpg

you need to hold it dead straight, especially at the begining, which may be awkward if the gear lever is waggling about and you are working freehand. You need at least three hands. The die goes into a sort of T-handle holder which you must turn flat, level and even.

If you can remove it, or buy a spare one from a scrapyard, you could do a better job on the bench with a vice and plenty of working room.

The cut thread you make is not as strong as a rolled thread made in a factory, but for a gear lever knob it will not matter.

You need to find out which thread is already there....perhaps 10 or 12mm metric?
Once you know that you can buy a suitable die and diestock (holder) and increase the thread at your leisure - ensuring the gearstick is held firm, of course.
A picture would help us.
John :)

Also, do a check on models using the same gearbox.
Some cars like my Volvo, use a Mitsubishi engine, but perhaps a different gearbox.

You may find that it is possible to fit a gearchange lever from a car that uses the same underpinnings as yours but is more sporty. Then find a scrapyard.

Sponsored Links
I'll measure it and take pics tomorrow. It is probably 12mm by the looks of it. Will it be easier to create the thread using the existing thread as guidance without cutting it short at first and then once I've extended thread then cut it short? As @JohnD said hardest part is the start and keeping the stick straight. So if I could somehow use the existing thread as guidance for the tool then will that help?

Normally you can extend a thread but it's possible that the thread was rolled then the lever bent or otherwise further treated.

Back