Cruise thread.

I thought he was on the same cruise - I saw one of the cabin boys walking along with a set of jump leads. “What are you trying to start?” I asked him. “An argument”. He said.

Your fumny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Your fumny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
200w.webp

Well, back home now, cruise over. :(

I’ve got to say though, it was one of the best cruises we’ve been on. Funnily enough, it’s the only cruise I’ve ever been on where all the ports were in the same country. The weather was kind for us - it was supposed to be raining every day but we had the most glorious weather. Until last night. **** me, it was like being a cork in a giant washing machine and at one point, I really thought we’d hit another ship. Such a crash, I was only half asleep but it woke me right up. Wifey says it was the ship crashing down after cresting a particularly large wave somewhere in the English Channel. It wasn’t a small ship either!

Here’s the wife on our balcony to give you an idea of the size.

The food in the main restaurants was of a very high standard but the speciality restaurants (surcharge payable) was just something else.

Some people say they can be like holiday camps and to a certain degree some of them can be but there’s plenty of quiet places to go and if you can afford it, the extra price for a balcony suite is worth the extra in my view as you can just sit there and watch the world go by. There was plenty to do, something for everyone. One day we visited a glacier.

Here a sample programme of the goings on on one of the days.

Like others, I was apprehensive about taking our first cruise many years ago but all I can say is, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.
Thankyou.I am still unsure about cruise ship holidays.

Four middle aged ladies asked what was so good about a cruise that they went on so many cruises.......

It isn't the cruise.... it's the crews

Sponsored Links
Four middle aged ladies asked what was so good about a cruise that they went on so many cruises.......

It isn't the cruise.... it's the crews
Indeed..plenty back scuttling going on between crew and lonely widows i bet.

Thread revival. Almost at the point of booking another. Mrs Mottie wants to go to Crete because she read a book by Victoria Hislop and wants to visit the island of Spinalonga. I’m not too keen on staying in one place just for a day trip to a visit to a former leper colony but despite not being overly keen on another cruise, she has suggested that perhaps we could go on a cruise that visits Crete and book an excursion to Spinalonga. Looking at the prices of holidays to Crete, I think it would be about the same price as a fly-cruise from Malta so I'd be up for that. :giggle:

Been to Crete and Spinalonga - and Crisi Island, which is the Southermost point of Europe, apparently. Very nice. Particularly enjoyed the Lassithi plateau on Crete. Beautiful.

Been to Crete and Spinalonga - and Crisi Island, which is the Southermost point of Europe, apparently. Very nice. Particularly enjoyed the Lassithi plateau on Crete. Beautiful.

Same here. Didn't think much of Spinalonga. Bit eerie with all the deserted, ruined houses. Did like Sponge Island/Kalymnos. Really nice harbour and tavernas around it.

The drawback of a cruise visit is you risk missing the ship departure if you venture off on your own and your 'taxi/bus' breaks down. The ship will only wait for cruise company organised excursions.

In the Greek islands, the cafes and restaurants have special menus they only get out when the cruise ships come in. Prices go up

Port cities around Europe are increasingly considering bans or restrictions on cruise ships as their health and environmental impacts become clearer. The 218 cruise ships operating in Europe last year emitted more than four times more sulphur oxides than all the continent’s cars combined, according to the NGO Transport & Environment (T&E). Sulphur dioxide causes respiratory and cardiovascular problems and its pollution is a key component of acid rain.

In some areas, partial solutions have been implemented. Emissions could be as much as 24% lower if ships reduce their speed. Electrical connections in ports have resulted in less air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Hamburg, Rostock and Kiel. Venice was Europe’s third most polluted cruise port in 2019 but thanks to a 2021 ban on large cruise ships, the city has reduced sulphur emissions by 80%.

Better get a smaller boat@the Gaurundia

Port cities around Europe are increasingly considering bans or restrictions on cruise ships as their health and environmental impacts become clearer. The 218 cruise ships operating in Europe last year emitted more than four times more sulphur oxides than all the continent’s cars combined, according to the NGO Transport & Environment (T&E). Sulphur dioxide causes respiratory and cardiovascular problems and its pollution is a key component of acid rain.

In some areas, partial solutions have been implemented. Emissions could be as much as 24% lower if ships reduce their speed. Electrical connections in ports have resulted in less air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in Hamburg, Rostock and Kiel. Venice was Europe’s third most polluted cruise port in 2019 but thanks to a 2021 ban on large cruise ships, the city has reduced sulphur emissions by 80%.

Better get a smaller boat@the Gaurundia
I wonder if river cruising will be affected, just back from the Danube, curtailed by low water levels, so docked for longer in Vienna and Passau, around a dozen vessels all with engines running, coaches galore ferrying passengers to locations that were not accessible

I wonder if river cruising will be affected, just back from the Danube, curtailed by low water levels, so docked for longer in Vienna and Passau, around a dozen vessels all with engines running, coaches galore ferrying passengers to locations that were not accessible
I don't think the environmental lobby is gunning for river boats yet but if water levels decline as drastically as they did on the Rhine a few years ago, they won't have to. You'll be able to walk from Holland to Hungary without getting your feets wet.
It's those bloody great floating hotels they want banned.

Sponsored Links
Back