CU installation??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had 4 downlights installed in my (new) bathroom additionally the consumer unit was replaced. The work was done by a well-rated electrician. Not withstanding the fact that he caused some damage to the radiator and carpets in the house due to his unwillingness to protect surfaces - I have a number of concerns. Firstly, he has not certified the installation and despite me asking several times the relevant paperwork has not been forthcoming. Secondly, a 12v power supply was installed with the bathroom lights to operate the extractor fan (Through one pull switch). On fitting the fan it is apparent that a trip occurs. My concern is that on investigating further it appears that the bathroom lights are on the same RCD as the remainder of the upstairs lights and the combi boiler. This seems illogical to me, but I would like to know where I stand in terms of the regs before challenging the installer. If nothing else, it is not clear from his labeling of the RCDs that they are shared. The configuration described above is labeled as 'boiler', There are two labeled 'Lights' one for the DS circuit and the other appears only to operate a single pendant under the stairs. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Who was he rated with/by? Sounds like a bit of a "billy the kid" There is no problem with the bathroom lights being on the same circuit as the main lights, BUT your CU is wrongly marked.

Not sure who he is registered with, but have subsequently asked for the relevant info. His reluctance to supply either his registration details or the agreed certification suggests that, as you say, he's not what he reports to be.

Don't have a problem with the lights on the same circuit. It was more that if the light circuit goes down I loose the central heating and hot water.

Assuming he is bogus. Where do I stand regarding the damage he has done and/or reporting him?

Thanks for such a prompt response - much appreciated.

If he is not registered there is not a lot (except by spreading by word of mouth)you can do. Regarding your heating, is there a nearby power(ring/radial)cable you can use instead?

Sponsored Links
You can find out if he is registered by entering company details here:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
If they do not appear on the list they ain't registered.
If they are registered if you feel aggrieved, then contact their scheme provider, there will be a complaints log! Also they do have a month to notify the work but should be issuing you certs on completion of work.

Firstly, he has not certified the installation and despite me asking several times the relevant paperwork has not been forthcoming.
Just covered that but also contact building controls and see if an application has been made for the work, they will in form you of noitification, this should be done prior to work starting.
Secondly, a 12v power supply was installed with the bathroom lights to operate the extractor fan (Through one pull switch). On fitting the fan it is apparent that a trip occurs.
Is this a MCB or RCD trip, but you must get them back to sort it out!
My concern is that on investigating further it appears that the bathroom lights are on the same RCD as the remainder of the upstairs lights and the combi boiler. This seems illogical to me, but I would like to know where I stand in terms of the regs before challenging the installer. If nothing else, it is not clear from his labeling of the RCDs that they are shared. The configuration described above is labeled as 'boiler', There are two labeled 'Lights' one for the DS circuit and the other appears only to operate a single pendant under the stairs. Any advice gratefully received.
There is nothing to say that bathroom light should be split from other lighting, the logical way, if a dual RCD board?Would be to have upstairs lighting and downstairs sockets sharing the same RCCB and downstairs lights with upstairs sockets sharing a second RCCB.
I personally try to get boiler on it's own circuit or one with less load and likelihood of power-loss.
But you have not had the installation re-wired, so it is not always that easy!
But if the circuits have not been labelled and no circuit chart issued, my feelings are you have fallen foul of a cowboy!

It was more that if the light circuit goes down I loose the central heating and hot water.
That's "normal" for a split load CU. Basically, the loads are split between two RCDs, and a fault on any circuit also takes out any other circuits on that half of the board. It's a compromise because ...

You can have each circuit have it's own RCD (an RCBO combines the MCB with an RCD in one module), but the cost then goes up. Considering some of the well known makes can cost £30 or more per way, then you can see how the cost quickly adds up. The benefit is that a fault on one circuit doesn't trip anything else.

It would appear too late now, but I usually fit a high integrity board. You could investigate whether the new board has the capability to add a H.I. circuit or 2, then put the CH on there so it is unaffected by the failure of either RCD.

I would be more concerned about the reason for the tripping than anything else mentioned.

It sounds like YOU are confusing how a dual split load board works with two RCD's. If one of the RCD's trip, ALL circuits protected by that RCD will loose power, this likely being a circuit for the upstairs lights and a circuit for the boiler (both having their own circuit and MCB in the CU).

Nothing wrong at all with having the bathroom on the same circuit as the upstairs lights - it's actually expected.

Nothing wrong with an MCB feeding a single pendent.

The only issue I can see if the tripping RCD when the fan runs, and the lack of paperwork. Did you see the guy do any testing while he was there?

My concern is that on investigating further it appears that the bathroom lights are on the same RCD as the remainder of the upstairs lights and the combi boiler. This seems illogical to me, but I would like to know where I stand in terms of the regs before challenging the installer. If nothing else, it is not clear from his labeling of the RCDs that they are shared. The configuration described above is labeled as 'boiler', There are two labeled 'Lights' one for the DS circuit and the other appears only to operate a single pendant under the stairs. Any advice gratefully received.

When you say RCD I think you mean MCB.

If the CU is under the stairs its common for that light to be on its own MCB so you should always have light there to work on the cu.
OR
If the labelling doesn't match it does sound like he has put a wire in the wrong place.

trading standards!!, and don't mess with anything until it's been looked at by another spark (registered this time)

TBH, not a lot can be said without ACCURATE information and plenty of PICS.

Thanks all.

I have attached some images of the board as requested, but to summarize I think I have been had. It's a shoddy installation by a tradesman who is purporting to be something he is clearly not.

To cover a couple of your comments. The boiler is in close proximity and there is space on the board. It should have been on a dedicated circuit as it was previously. Likewise the alarm should not be shared with the sockets.

The only plus in all this, is that I realised straight away and to date he has not been payed a penny. Just need to recover the cost of the damage he's caused and be a bit more careful with my choice next time..

Thanks again for all your comments and advice
View media item 60030 View media item 60029 View media item 60029

additionally the consumer unit was replaced.
By the sort of person who thinks it's OK to use MCBs of three different makes in a CU.

View media item 60030
And the way those labels look? I'm not sure it was even a new CU.

The work was done by a well-rated electrician.
I think not.

I think I have been had. It's a shoddy installation by a tradesman who is purporting to be something he is clearly not.
I agree.

The only plus in all this, is that I realised straight away and to date he has not been payed a penny.
IANAL, but I think you do have to give him the opportunity to put right his mistakes (including fitting a new CU, with everything the same make) - you can't just refuse to pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back