Curing an airlock in an unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post...

As the topic title suggests, Ive got a sealed system that seems to have developed an airlock in the pipes supplying hot water to the kitchen and upstairs bathroom. The hot water pressure to the cloakroom toilet is fine. Any ideas how to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Your terminology seems to be lacking a bit

If you have a sealed system that does not necessarily mean you have unvented hot water. Unvented hot water systems do not get airlocks

Tell us what boiler you have make and model. Also cylinder or other hot water storage devices again the make and model.

My x ray specs are totally knackered and I just can't make it out from here

I have a Potterton Suprima boiler. The cylinder is an unvented water heater - OSO indirect 250. As this is a high pressure water system, surely the hot water should be running at the same or similar pressure as the cold water. Why I think I have an airlock is because the hot water pressure to the kitchen used to be much higher until we fitted a new bathroom.

Cheers....

hi quick fix idea!
do you have a wet and dry vacumn if so open the dry tap stick the vacumn on wet and suck it out!
bob

Sponsored Links
As slugbaby says you wont get airlocklocks in an unvented hot water system. Something has gone wrong during the installation of the bathroom by the sounds of it.

i doubt very much that whoever fitted your cylinder repiped the cold supply to your bathroom and kitchen ,therefore your hot and cold probably wont be balanced.As for the pressure altering after other works being carried out would suggest a problem with the fitting of the said bathroom.

when did you last have your oso checked? it is an airgap cylinder and should be serviced by draining down to temp/pressure relief valve level once a year by a G3 Qualified engineer. if this has been done then the problem is in the installation of your bathroom

Why woud re-piping have anything to do with an alteration in the pressure? The hot water pressure to another toilet in the house is fine. Does a new hot water pipe need to come out of the cylinder for each room? Ive never heard that before...

kevinfgas - tht is something that we havent done since moving in over 18 months ago. Im gonna get it serviced and see if this works...thanks.

Why woud re-piping have anything to do with an alteration in the pressure? The hot water pressure to another toilet in the house is fine.
What if a pipe is kinked, undersized, there could be debris or an unopened isolation valve or perhaps some flexis are kinked?

Does a new hot water pipe need to come out of the cylinder for each room? Ive never heard that before...
No, No one is implying that. What fitz implied is that you may need a balanced COLD supply for some outlets. This is imperative for showers and a good thing for some mixers that dont have non return valves fitted

Definitely an installation fault.

Have you got an aerator on the end of the spouts, if so unscrew them and clean them out.

Which spouts in particular? And no, I dont think there are any - however, the floor has not yet gone down in the bathroom - or at least I can still take it up again without too much hassle if required. Where should these spouts be? Tahnks for the advice, I feel we are actually getting somewhere!

in the taps there are little plastic bits where the water comes out these are the aerators they usual unscrew for cleaning (they basically swirl the water as it comes out to stop it splashing everywhere)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back