Cutting down flat head screws ie those on sockets

Sponsored Links
I would llike to know exactly where he lives.

I'm contemplating moving to a completelly different area of the uk, but I would like to be assured that I was at least 100 miles away from the hole that he lives in.
It says London in my profile.

Unlike you I don't lie.

Sponsored Links
what we need is someone who can interject with an even more pedantic view point to really drag this out. Preferably, someone who doesn't reed two good. :)

Since when has a nut (or heaven forbid a file :eek: ) been the correct way to repair a damaged thread!? Get off your horses, get a proper lathe to machine the screws shorter with a square face, then run a die up the damn thread.

134.1.1, anybody?

:)

nice1 Liam, thats exactly the sort of thing i was thinking about :LOL:

Mk and decent screws, etc are chamfered at the ends I thought , so they dont damage the wires if they accidently hit them
The best ones aren't just chamfered - they also have a significantly long threadless portion to make it easy to locate the screw in the threaded hole.

Bans way is good for the thread but dont chamfer the edge.
I use Bans way to cut studding but usually still also file a chamfer.
I thought it was normal for any Metal worker not to leave a sharp end of thread.,
This is pretty much the only relevant point on the entire topic - no decent engineer would leave a sharp edge on anything metal having cut it. Using a nut doesn't achieve the same effect as a file, so it isn't an alternative.

are we really that sad that we're trying to turn a simple discussion on methods to cut and dress a screw into a 6 page load of drivel and useless posts?

as it's 15 replies to a page, and this is number 12, we need 4 more replies to make it into 6 pages..

No it isn't, it just that i'd never actually bothered to count the number of posts to a page before now.

not long now :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back