Daft question #999,999

Sponsored Links
You'd have to laugh, or you'd cry... what's wrong with this picture :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20200123_161454.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ha ha cheers guys - but no, definitely not inside the pipe, on the floor etc. Anyway, one thing about SF, they just give you another one.

But I don't think I'm going to get away with this idea either. I reckon I could get the flexible pipe to fit - just - but the knurled "nut" on the bottom end is going to foul the water pipes I think. Won't know for sure till tomorrow.

Getting desperate now - I feel a Roger Bodge coming on, like just leaving the nut off the bottom, and sealing the waste pipe into the end of the flexible adapter with silicone. This is SO not how I like to do things, but it might actually work...

If you can't fit the nut inbetween the supply pipes ,then go for a mcalpine flexcon 5. Spigot end push fit into the floor fitting ,after removing the grey pipe. The other end is compression ,so short piece of pipe to the trap.
It's total length around 150mm to 200mm ( ignoring the length of spigot, which will be inside the existing fitting near the floor)

So. It now appears that grey and white waste pipes have different diameters.

The grey one is the one i pulled out of the push-fit bit in the floor; the white is the end of the flexible fitting.

The white one is about 1mm bigger diameter, and won't fit in the hole in the floor.

Now do you see why I get so f*ing despondent when trying to do what should be a simple job?

20200128_160128.jpg

Cut a piece of the waste pipe to go into the compression end of the Flexi and back into the floor fitting ,make it long enough to clear the supply pipes ,but only just. Fit the piece of pipe into the compression fitting and tighten it ,then push into the fitting at the floor.
Raise the trap as high as poss ,and the spigot end of Flexi into the trap.
You can cut a bit off the spigot length ,if need be.

That's the ticket !! But the spigot looks as though it may not be fully inserted into the trap ,is it ???
The copper pipes could do with cleaning up with abrasive strip's ,someone's gone a bit overboard with the flux ,and solder !!:D:D:D

Last edited:
That's the ticket !! But the spigot looks as though it may not be fully inserted into the trap ,is it ???

I didn’t cut any off the spigot, so you can still see a fair bit of it – it is fully inserted though. Just ran the tap for about 20 minutes – no sign of any leaks SO FAR. Just heating the tank now to run a few gallons of hot through it, in case that does something.

See, that’s the trouble with me – I can’t think laterally, and it would never have occurred to me to turn the flexi thingy upside down, in a million years.

The copper pipes could do with cleaning up with abrasive strip's ,someone's gone a bit overboard with the flux ,and solder !!:D:D:D

Yes, the plumbing – like everything else in this house – is pure class. I don’t know if you remember my escapades installing a new toilet, but mostly went very smoothly except putting a bend in the water inlet.

The pipe coming up out of the floor was so covered in solder there literally wasn’t anywhere to cut it and put a compression fitting on. The one place where there wasn’t solder, there was one of those little soldered copper sleeves, joining two sections, and soldering anything except wiring is above my pay grade.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back