Daft question #999,999

Rigid waste pipes makes for a neater and more professional job ,and offer less resistance to flow ,and as the inner walls are smooth are less likely to hold solids and blockages.
However they do come in useful ,and in your circumstances won't cause any problems and behind a pedestal ,not to conspicuous. And will solve your misalignment problem fairly easily.

Thanks Terry. Ummm... any chance you could point me at the right one on Screwfix? I get really confused trying to pick my way through 1¼", 32mm, push fit, compression fit etc :oops:

What I have at the moment (if you can't see it in the photos) is the Floplast pedestal trap, with what I guess you'd call a compression fitting at the bottom? Tapered rubber washer, tightens onto the grey pipe which comes up out of the floor - except it doesn't, because of the angle...

So if I get a flexible pipe, presumably the end of it which fits to the bottom of the trap would need to be something else now, as there's nothing to compress on, if you get me?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah, this one maybe? So the plain end goes into the compression fitting on the bottom of the trap, and the compression end onto the grey waste pipe...?

Basin pipework is 11/4 inch ,or 32 mm ,same thing. However there are some pipes that can't be used with push fit fittings . As I don't know what your pipes made from , my advice is to use compression fittings as they will be compatible no matter what yours are.
You are correct ,the trap has a compression fitting. So a spigot or a pipe section has to go into it .
You will have to cut your waste pipe quite a bit ,maybe cut 350 mm off it, and still be able to connect a compression fitting to the remaining part.
Is that doable ?

You will have to cut your waste pipe quite a bit ,maybe cut 350 mm off it, and still be able to connect a compression fitting to the remaining part.
Is that doable ?

I'll go and measure when I can - girlfriend's in bed with the flu, so don't want to disturb her yet... depends how short the flexible tube can be, I suppose. The Flexcon 1 goes up to 18", but I don't know what its shortest length can be (even looked on the McAlipne site). The grey floor pipe isn't very long, but not sure HOW long.

I'll post back when I can...

Sponsored Links
I'll go and measure when I can - girlfriend's in bed with the flu, so don't want to disturb her yet... depends how short the flexible tube can be, I suppose. The Flexcon 1 goes up to 18", but I don't know what its shortest length can be (even looked on the McAlipne site). The grey floor pipe isn't very long, but not sure HOW long.

I'll post back when I can...
Only just read your earlier post, and the link is exactly the kind of thing you need. And your right about the length determines which Flexi to use.

Take a look at Mcalpines Flexi con 3.
Length 156 to 206 mm. It is compression at both ends ,so use a bit of the pipe you cut to go in one end and into the trap.

Only just read your earlier post, and the link is exactly the kind of thing you need. And your right about the length determines which Flexi to use.

Yeah... so here's the next problem - from the joint in the grey waste pipe near the floor to the bottom of the compression joint on he trap is only about 8". Not sure if the flexi pipe will fit... nothing's ever simple in this house :cry:

You mention a joint ,low on the waste pipe , is it a push fit elbow ? Can you access the joint / remove the pipe ? And more importantly fit pipe back in ?
If so ,remove it ,warm it ,and bend it to required angle . Possible ??

You mention a joint ,low on the waste pipe , is it a push fit elbow ? Can you access the joint / remove the pipe ? And more importantly fit pipe back in ?
If so ,remove it ,warm it ,and bend it to required angle . Possible ??

I fear it's an adhesive joint... hard to see what's going on down there, but girlfriend's up now, so I'll try and get another look...

OK, here we are:

Joint.jpg

That's a push fit fitting. Your trap is extendable ,so can be pushed upward to gain space. What is the length of pipe from fitting to trap ? It looks to me to be much more than 8 inch ?

That's a push fit fitting. Your trap is extendable ,so can be pushed upward to gain space. What is the length of pipe from fitting to trap ? It looks to me to be much more than 8 inch ?

Top of floor fitting to bottom of compression joint on trap is just a little over 8". The telescopic bit at the top of the trap is extended about 1½" at the moment... so I suppose I might get lucky :LOL:

OK off down to SF a little later abd buy a flexi pipe.

SO I'm thinking the Flexcon 1 rather than the 3? I assume that spigot on the end will push into the compression joint on the bottom of the trap OK?

It's too long and won't compress to fit in the space you have. Use the con 3.
One problem you may have is the compression nut fitting between the copper pipes ,it will be or ,need to be ,very close to the push fit fitting , with the shortest piece of pipe joining the two.

Remove pipe from joint in floor (carefully), put a spigot 135 in, and another from that and go straight up?

Remove pipe from joint in floor (carefully), put a spigot 135 in, and another from that and go straight up?

Hhmmm, another thing to consider... trouble is, my head goes round and round with these things. If getting a plumber in was an option, I'd happily do that, but I've never found one who was willing to tackle jobs like this. Which I can understand!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back