Damaged wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

The wire between the switch and the ceiling rose has become damaged while doing some work on the wall.

The damage is directly above the switch within 1 meter.
I know this because I can punch the wall in a particular spot and the light will flicker.

How do I repair this?

I don't want to run a new cable between the ceiling rose and switch because it will require lifting carpet/floor boards in 2 rooms and a shed load of replastering.

What are my options?

Many thanks

CF

Sponsored Links
In either case, it may be possible to draw a new cable through, but you would still need to lift boards.

Sponsored Links
Stop punching the wall? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

How badly is it damaged? Maybe expose some of the wall in the affected area and upload a photo of said damage?

Solid wall, or hollow stud?

Thanks for the replys boys

I can't see the damage.
It's been plastered over.
I'll have to break the plaster bit by bit to identify the damaged wire.

It's a solid wall.

I'm guessing I can't join the wire using a connector block and bury it under the plaster again?

Thanks again

I'm guessing I can't join the wire using a connector block and bury it under the plaster again?
You guess right. You cannot do that. It’s doomed to failure. The slightest bit of damp will trip the main breaker for the circuit, and screw terminals must remain accessible.
The cable needs a permanent repair, for example the correct insulated butt crimps and the joint sealed with heat shrink sleeving.

You could use one of these
https://www.toolstation.com/electrical/cable-connectors-terminals/c1133?redirect=cable+connector

but again if must be covered over with heat shrink sleeving or similar.

There may be other solutions for you, but we need to see the damage, you are going to have to knock a hole in the wall sometime. Maybe that time is now!

I'm curious how you have decided that you have damaged a cable yet do not know where - within a metre.

I'd suggest checking the switch, or possibly the light fitting, before removing plaster.

You guess right. You cannot do that. It’s doomed to failure. The slightest bit of damp will trip the main breaker for the circuit, and screw terminals must remain accessible.
The cable needs a permanent repair, for example the correct insulated butt crimps and the joint sealed with heat shrink sleeving.

You could use one of these
https://www.toolstation.com/electrical/cable-connectors-terminals/c1133?redirect=cable+connector

but again if must be covered over with heat shrink sleeving or similar.

There may be other solutions for you, but we need to see the damage, you are going to have to knock a hole in the wall sometime. Maybe that time is now!

Thanks buddy. I'll muster up some courage to rip some plaster out.
Them crimps look good. Does it come in smaller quantities?

I'm curious how you have decided that you have damaged a cable yet do not know where - within a metre.

By punching the wall.
:ROFLMAO:

I'd suggest checking the switch, or possibly the light fitting, before removing plaster.

Replaced both the light switch and the fitting.
Same problem with both... Intermittent on/off/flickering +-punches :ROFLMAO:

is there a junction box? how many cables at light and switch?

You may not need to rip plaster out.
The cable may be enclosed in capping or conduit so you could lift a board above the switch and tie a new piece on.

is there a junction box? how many cables at light and switch?

Live neutral and earth at switch and light

You may not need to rip plaster out.
The cable may be enclosed in capping or conduit so you could lift a board above the switch and tie a new piece on.

No conduit I'm afraid. I watched the plaster go on myself.

I had another go with a tester at the light fitting.
There's electricity at the live wire but still not lighting up. That means the neutral has gone.

Several weeks ago I tested it and there was no live at all.

What is going on???

As said several times before, the only way to find out what is going on is to start chopping at the plaster and reveal the cable. sorry, it’s going to mean A proper repair and making good afterwards.

There is no neutral at the switch.

Live neutral and earth at switch and light
Several weeks ago I tested it and there was no live at all.
What is going on???
As Sunray has suggested, if there is one cable at the switch and one at the ceiling position, there must be a junction box. This means there could be a loose connection, possibly on more than one wire, at this joint, thus your odd findings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back