Damaged wiring

What is actually preventing you getting the floorboard up in your son's room, without sounding awkward?

Sponsored Links
What is actually preventing you getting the floorboard up in your son's room, without sounding awkward?

I've got some fitted wardrobes there and I can't get the carpet to sit properly from when I last lifted it, I'm also left with a squeaky floor board so kind of put off doing it ever again even if the wardrobe wasn't an issue.

It's tricky not actually being there, because we can usually find some way of getting over the problem.

Maybe you can access these wires from another area under the floor, and somehow 'cut out' the junction box section, and extend the good wiring accordingly.

But that may be difficult, particularly if access is difficult.

You can of course 'borrow' a neutral from another light - no problem with that, and keep the existing live.

The only concern is what may be a loose neutral floating around in that jb, but we can't check it.

It's tricky not actually being there, because we can usually find some way of getting over the problem.

Maybe you can access these wires from another area under the floor, and somehow 'cut out' the junction box section, and extend the good wiring accordingly.

But that may be difficult, particularly if access is difficult.

You can of course 'borrow' a neutral from another light - no problem with that, and keep the existing live.

The only concern is what may be a loose neutral floating around in that jb, but we can't check it.

Thanks buddy.
I'll take your advice and borrow a neutral from the porch light.
A nice thin 1mm white wire will hardly be visible on the coving.

I'll probably be changing the carpet in my sons room in a couple of years time.
When this happens I'll rip out the adjacent floorboards and see if i can reach the junction box.

Obviously a loose neutral wire in the ceiling isn't ideal but I'm happy to close the connection off on the light fitting side using a connector block. Should be OK for a couple of years until I can get to the junction box.

Kind regards
CF

Sponsored Links
With the floorboard you said you lifted up above the light, can you not fish a cable under the floor from a convenient light?

You may as well use regular 1.0 mm2 T+E, it's only fractionally bigger than 1core+E, or sheathed single core cable - both of which is hard to get off the shelf in some parts of the UK.

With the floorboard you said you lifted up above the light, can you not fish a cable under the floor from a convenient light?

You may as well use regular 1.0 mm2 T+E, it's only fractionally bigger than 1core+E, or sheathed single core cable - both of which is hard to get off the shelf in some parts of the UK.

Afraid there are no convenient access points that can get to the junction box from below or above as there are narrow joists that block access.

Would this work for the borrowed neutral?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-THIN...-/202862982996?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Obviously I want it as nondescript as possible to save me channelling the ceiling. If it can be quietly tucked into the corner that would be a huge advantage.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Afraid there are no convenient access points that can get to the junction box from below or above as there are narrow joists that block access.

Would this work for the borrowed neutral?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-THIN...-/202862982996?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Obviously I want it as nondescript as possible to save me channelling the ceiling. If it can be quietly tucked into the corner that would be a huge advantage.
From that ebay entry: Suitable for 12v and 24v systems (Maximum voltage 60v)

I'm going to do this comment again' This needs to be sorted out properly as you have still not established exactly what the fault is and what else it's potentially affecting. In fact [as I see it] your screwdriver has not even proved it's the neutral at fault.
In addition there is still potentially a loose wire floating about whichcould cause all sortsof problems if it moves.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
All true, but I think that the OP would struggle to find even 1.0mm T+E (or either of the other two) from standard suppliers in white any more - although there may well be some on eBay etc.

If it's not too long a length, the OP could put white heat shrink over grey T+E. I've done similar in my time for quite appreciable lengths of cable.

Kind Regards, John

All true, but I think that the OP would struggle to find even 1.0mm T+E (or either of the other two) from standard suppliers in white any more - although there may well be some on eBay etc.

If it's not too long a length, the OP could put white heat shrink over grey T+E. I've done similar in my time for quite appreciable lengths of cable.

Kind Regards, John
Or apply white paint.

Thanks guys. I'll take your advice and paint the wire white. Seeing as that frees me up for product choice, will this do?:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-and...219872?hash=item5b83bce9e0:g:C7sAAOSwK8Nf02TY
They do 1mm single core blue cable for a couple of quid.
Yep, that would be fine.

Having said that, I share SUNRAY's concern that you are only 'papering over the crack' of this problem by adopting that solution, so I hope it's not too long before you are in a position to get access to the existing wiring and hence hopefully identify, and resolve, the actual underlying problem.

Kind Regards, John

If you smelt gas due to a bad joint, what would you do?

If the breaks on your car needed regularly topping up due to a bad joint, what would you do?

If you have an unreliable light in your house due to a bad joint, what should you do?

Especially as the fault has still not been proved to be the neutral.EDIT: I now see this has been proved with a wire.

If a fire were to start under your sons floor due to a bad joint, what will you wish you did?

Last edited:
Agree completely.
To be fair, the missus wants new carpet upstairs. I suppose this can be a good excuse to tear the old floor out and have a gander.
Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back