Dangerous wiring by plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a plumber install a new boiler. Turns out he did all the wiring and when I asked about him being part p he said his mate was a sparky and would check it over and sign off but was on holiday.
He then did a runner on us leaving the system incomplete along with some dangerous wiring, left the room stat dangling which left the stat hanging by the wires which fell off exposing the live, fortunately the wires shorted tripping the fuse before it could cause more harm. The wiring in the control also looks dangerous.
Can anyone advice what steps I take to claim against this negligent and dangerous work thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
have you got that in writing?

I don't know the rules for oil boilers, you could ask in the central heating section.

For gas, it's an offence.

Ok checked there's no requirement to be oftec registered you can be competent and have it signed off by local inspector.

Back to electrics should be he touching our electrics when not qualified

I asked about him being part p
Very little is notifiable work, boiler wiring isn't unless in Wales, when it might be.
Regardless of notification, electrical work does need to be safe, which yours apparently isn't.

Qualifications not required, but leaving it in a dangerous condition is obviously unacceptable.

Yes. Anyone may do electrical work.

All that Part P of the Building Regulations states is:

upload_2018-11-25_21-52-16.png

There is no more.
That is the only legal part so, how that is interpreted is not clear.

There is no such thing as Part P qualifications. Don't believe everything you read.

Very little is notifiable work, boiler wiring isn't unless in Wales, when it might be.
Regardless of notification, electrical work does need to be safe, which yours apparently isn't.

Qualifications not required, but leaving it in a dangerous condition is obviously unacceptable.

Thankyou for detail interesting use of words unacceptable isn't good when it's already fried someone, the stat cable was hangin off next to my daughters room (stat dropped off exposing 3 bare cables) albeit a blown fuse but could of been a bare live :( so he's not breaking any law as such, that should be tightened up.

Thankyou for detail interesting use of words unacceptable isn't good when it's already fried someone, the stat cable was hangin off next to my daughters room (stat dropped off exposing 3 bare cables) albeit a blown fuse but could of been a bare live :( so he's not breaking any law as such, that should be tightened up.
If work is not done safely (in a manner such as not to endanger persons or property) it IS 'breaking the law", namely Part P of the Building Regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Following on from John`s post your situation shows the stupidity of Part P. You were left with a dangerous installation, but you will struggle to find a resolution. If it is a new circuit, it is modifiable and your LABC may be interested. If it's not new they won't be bothered (as they won't have the resources to fund a prosecution) . You could use the small claims court to get your money back, but it's too easy for the plumber to rename his company and move on. Your best bet is to look for a proper electrician and get it done right. Not what you want to hear I know but you are not the first to get shared and won't be the last.

As an aside I just looked at what happens down under. All electrical work must be done by a registered electrician (I would not want us to go down that route). Unregistered work including DIY faces a fine and a dangerous installation can lead to a massive fine and/or up to 5 years inside. I'd be ok with that for cowboys (not necessarily DIYERS)

Following on from John`s post your situation shows the stupidity of Part P. You were left with a dangerous installation, but you will struggle to find a resolution. If it is a new circuit, it is modifiable and your LABC may be interested. If it's not new they won't be bothered (as they won't have the resources to fund a prosecution) .
[ predictive text, I presume ... modifiable/notifiable :) ]

It's surely not a case of Part P being stupid (what little it says is very reasonable) but, presumably for the reason you imply (lack of resources) it is not adequately (virtually not at all) enforced or policed.

What seems rather odd is that they seem have/find the resources to do a fair bit more enforcement in relation to other parts of the same piece of legislation.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back