Dare I say it.... Part P !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I am new to this forum, but from reading various previous posts, i see that many of you are curious about these 'domestic installer courses'.
I have attended one of these and will gladly answer any questions.
Anyone ????

Sponsored Links
ok i'll go first.
how long does the course last for and is it a day class or can it be done at night ?.

Hi,
It lasts five days ( four and half in my case as the 'tutor' needed to get back up north) from 8 till 4 the other days.
I was going through the NIC and they do not run an evening course.
£995
next ?? :LOL: :LOL:

Whats your main trade and why did you need to do this course?

Or are you trying to imitate a real sparky?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Nice one eddiecurrent!

Im doing mine in feb

Been waiting for someone to ask! :eek: :D

How did you find it?
how much is related to testing
did you get ya moneys worth?
Are you going to go with NIC....when?
how many in ya group?
did you have any background knowledge before?
do you feel confident on what you learnt and fluent in testing now
did you have a tester before you went and done it
did you enjoy it
whats your plan now
was the assessment difficult and with things you didnt learn about on the course.
did anyone fail
were there any numptys on the course

i hear they supply sandwiches.....do they have ploughmans?

Glad you put this topic on
:)

Eddie
In your opinion what would have been a fair cost. I know I had 41% off for tax but think £600 would be about right for what you get.

Kitty

I do not have a main trade, and am not trying to imitate a 'real sparky' as you put it.

By 'real sparky' do you mean a competent domestic installer whom has the 'minimum technical competence' (to bs7671) , or a fully qualified jib electrician, with the 16th edition, and a CG 2391certificate ?

:LOL:

EddieCurrent said:
or a fully qualified jib electrician, with the 16th edition, and a CG 2391certificate ?

:LOL:

Don't forget about the C&G 236 A, B&C certificate ;)

Sorry if its a bit long winded my questions eddie

i hope you dont mind answering them when you have a spare 5 min

Thanks MST

MST
Here's mine

1 ok

2 2-3 hrs

3 no

4 elecsa

5 12

6 fist re-wire on my own about 20yrs ago

7 so-so , don't do enough testing to ever be fluent

8 no

9 yes, but worried about leaving my guys on their own

10 do my own work if sparkie doesn't want it

11 not difficult, you can't learn enough on the course for an assesment

12 don't know

13 oh yes

last all sorts

Thanks Pensdown :LOL:

Fully qualified and time served with C&G 236 part 1 & 2
C&G 2391 and 16th Edition

Served time with a JIB company now have 23 years experience and no 2 days are the same!!!!

Loving every minute of it just getting very peed off by these imitation sparks.

A friend of mine left a full time job as a fitter to become a spark and went on a four week intensive course somewhere in the country.

He returned thinking it would be easy so I took him on a straight forward rewire with me one week. Never again! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry if this is negative but I cant become an accountant in a week just because I have bought a calculator.

Hello Mst.

I was in a class of ten, half of them working with electrical installation on a full time basis, a site 'foreman', kitchen fitters etc, and a bloke that could not speak hardly any english.
I had already paid @£395 + £995. to join the NIC. And spent £650 on a fluke 1653. (new business bank loan and all that :rolleyes: )
On the first morning we were assured of passing.
The first three and a half days were spent viewing a slideshow and talking through the simple notes that we had been given. Whilst doing this, various questions from the class arose and were explained.
On the Thursday afternoon we moved on to testing, and, due to some of the class having never ever done any testing, this became somewhat more complicated than you would believe. :LOL:
Friday morning and a quick run through some of the answers to the test verbally.Then,we were then each given a test meter and a mock up board with a CU, socket and light+ switch. The tutor then took about an hour to show us how physically to carry out the required tests. No explanation of the results of the testing at all.
As the tutor popped out to get the exam papers ready, he suggested we " play about" with the test equip that we were all handed for half an hour or so. (I was certain that someone was going to zapp themselves, but the bloke next to me couldn't work out how to set his meter up for IR testing, so I was safe on that side :LOL: ).

The assessment was another kettle of fish, I worked with another bloke who walked the assessor through our 2 jobs needed for inspection. He was asked about testing at great depth, but has very sound knowledge of testing so he was ok. (I personally am not competent at testing.).
However, we failed due to;
1. No PI labels on CU's
2. 2 x mains voltage fans in zone1 :oops: ( I know, I know )
3. A new towel rail had been fitted (after we had gone) and was not bonded. (Even though we told him it was an extra that were unaware of, he still noted it )

Anyways the outcome is that I have given up doing any electrical work. For the past few years another bloke used to test and cert my work, and I had enough work to keep 2 men going full time, I have explained to customers and builders that I worked for that I am no longer working and have not touched a bit of cable since.
I have worked as an electricians 'mate' for 20yrs now, ( long time eh ?) mainly on non domestic projects, and thought I would give it a shot starting up a little company.
Maybe I was the Numpty though !!! :LOL:
And most importantly, yes the grub was good.

I this proves helpful to you.

Steve aka Kitty,
Where, or how are these 'imitation sparks' winding you up may I ask ? here? at work? at the pub ?
I do not feel the need for you to get wound up about this subject that I have posted. I am just trying to explaining to those who wish to know about my experience of a DIS course.

Or should I just re-name my ban-allmy-posts ?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Chill :D

Hello Gangman

I think about £500 would have been an easier price to accept, the £995 does include your assessment I know, but they are going to get your membership money too remember, so it's expensive if you are a one man band.

Nice post eddiecurrent,
I currently work in an engineering company who has more ups and downs then a roller coaster so over the coming year i plan to do my best to achieve a lot of the qualifications to try and become a qualified electrician, now i know you can have as many qualifications as possible and still be uncompetent but you have to start somewhere.
I have recently passed my C&G 7671, I am just about to start my Part P course (£400) and then do my C&G 2391 (£280). I know this will still not give me the relevant hands on experience but just wondered if anyone has any feelings on what else I would have to do before I could class myself as a competent electrician.
And I know this will lead to some very interesting replies, but at least it makes reading a good laugh :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back