Dare I say it.... Part P !

cleverspark said:
just wondered if anyone has any feelings on what else I would have to do before I could class myself as a competent electrician.

Ditch the name cleverspark ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Eddie current ,

Thanks for your replys, its cleared alot up for me.

Let me know how you get on with your ELECSA interviews.

How come you dont go NIC? Thats what im doing.no diffrence in price.

thanks again

All the courses in classrooms do not make up 5% of real experience. the best way to learn is to become an electricians mate on a saturday for a pay cut (i would expect) and learn as much as you can

insanekitty said:
..just getting very peed off by these imitation sparks.
I’m still trying to get my head around these courses but from what I can make out there seems to be two types of people who sign up.

The first are other skilled tradesman that come across electrical works whilst carrying out their main line of work, the plumber who wants to install a new supply to the heating system, the bathroom fitter who wants to install an electric shower and the kitchen fitter who wants to add a few sockets.

IMO these people will never call themselves electricians and I’m sure they don’t want to be electricians. But because it’s not commercially viable to get an electrician in every 5 minutes to do quite small and often simple tasks they do the course and register to self certify.

The second are people who have had no formal electrical training and don’t hold any recognised electrical qualifications whatsoever but are out there re-wiring houses.

They believe that after they have done the 5 day course they will become an electrician overnight capable of sorting out anything that is put in front of them.

These people are imitation electricians and I deplore them. IMO if these people are selling themselves as electricians for financial gain they should have had formal on-site training and hold recognised electrical qualifications.

If they need to sit the PP exam just to get a piece of worthless paper which will allow them to be considered by a self certification body then IMO they shouldn’t be doing electrical works in other peoples houses full stop.

Boy do I feel better now :evil:

Sponsored Links
I agree,

Ive been doing kitchens/bathrooms for 13 years....used to do electrics ( to a good standard)......yes i know but thats coming from other people too.....
And used to get it tested

Part poo put an egg on that.

I love electrics and work hard to learn all i can. Even tho i would be more than confident to rewire a house.

Thats wot im doing with the spark i normally use this week....hes mustard!

MSTs story ;)

I cant agree more with the above statement, i know kitchen fitters that have done part p to extend a kitchen ring circuit, and frankly fair play, as i no i wouldnt get out of bed to do that sort of job.

Its not the fact that it annoys me that people are out for financial gain with part p, by doing electrical installations, it scares me in the fact that they could kill themselves, kill the client, and set the property ablaze.

Infact if you think back to why part P was actually brought in, because of some MP's daughter getting electricuted and killed in their kitchen after works had just been caried out it makes you think, "is Part P serving its purpose?"

In my eyes anyone carrying out installations should be JIB registered, domestic or not domestic, like corgi fitters, and have sufficient qualifications and EXPERIENCE to be accredited with JIB status. This would make life alot easier and safer.

What MP was that?

Havent heard about that before?

Hello,
I agree with your post pensdown, (and think that there is a difference between an electrician and a domestic installer).

When I first worked on site @1986 I went to college and did the C+G 236 PART 1, at the time I was working as an electricians mate, Instead of getting an apprenticeship and following this up with the B + C courses etc I decided not to carry on the college stuff, and just carry on as a 'mate'( working away most of the time :LOL: ), which I did constantly for 19 yrs.

I did not need to do the course, (the subject just interests me) as my business partner had the relevant 'full' qualifications, all we needed was to pass the assessment.
Yes,Both of us are responsible for the 'fail'.Hands up to that.

I am obviously not competent technically, but as for the 'physical' side of installing I consider myself competent, and it is unfair for people to judge me not so.

mst,
I did go NIC ,
I am now going to return to work as an 'electricians mate', (hopefully not domestic for a bit), which is where I am happiest.

Yes, it was a waste of time and cash I suppose, but did not do it for the reasons some people presume.
I hope this makes sense.

EddieCurrent said:
I am obviously not competent technically, but as for the 'physical' side of installing I consider myself competent, and it is unfair for people to judge me not so.

Eddie, I hope you didn't think that I was judging you because I wasn't and my post wasn't aimed at you either

Given the number of years that you've been in the trade you're either an excellent mate or you live in the van :LOL:

Also, if you were working for a small company where the technical stuff is done by someone else you would probably have your own mate by now.

But to run your own company you need the technical stuff as well and if you hang around this forum long enough you will probably get it.

Edit..need to go specsavers

speedfreekz said:
Infact if you think back to why part P was actually brought in, because of some MP's daughter getting electricuted and killed in their kitchen after works had just been caried out

1) The consultation document for Part P was issued in May 2002.

2) The results of the consultation were published in September 2002.

3) The first Part P amendment to the Building Regulations was made on 13th July 2004, and laid before Parliament on 22nd of July 2004.

4) Mary Wherry, Jenny Tonge's daughter, was killed on 31st July 2004.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back