Data Cabinet Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been running data cables throughout the house as i have been refurbishing/building it. The plans was to have a data cabinet wall mounted within the garage where everything will be routed through.

I have a very basic understanding of data cabinets and how the various bits work but cant find a "how to" guide for laying out the cabinet and completing the install.

What i have;
- Data points installed to each room of the house
- Multiple data points to the office and main TV location
- 2 hard wired wifi boosters
- Multiple CCTV cameras

What i want to do;
- Have everything run through a central data cabinet located in the garage
- My fiber connection is brought into the garage
- Locate the router and fiber providers wifi unit within / on the data cabinet
- Connect all data points and wifi boosters to the main router via a panel
- Connect all CCTV cameras to the panel
- Mount CCTV hard drive in loft
- Connect CCTV to hard drive via the panel in the garage
- Be able to view CCTV via TV or PC in the house

Can someone give me some help on how i set this up or point me in the right direction for a how to guide.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your going to need a switch …possibly a Poe switch if your using ip cameras ,maybe a dvb-t hd modulator fed into the tv aerial system

Why would you have the CCTV in the loft? Its not an ideal place to keep hardware. Is it an internal garage? Put the CCTV server in there.

Wire all your cables in to a patch panel. As above you will need a POE switch for the cameras.

I was planning on having the hard drive located in the loft so it is not right there to be removed if i was ever robbed?

The CCTV is POE so does that mean i need a switch for the CCTV and a 2nd one for the data network?

Can you recommend decent kit options for me to go for. Is one brand better than another?

Sponsored Links
Fair enough about the being robbed point. They are mostly in and out and don't really care about CCTV. You can get a lockable coms cab.

If the cameras are POE you can use a POE switch for the cameras and a normal one for the other devices or get one that does both.

No idea about hardware. You will want gigabit. Main thing is to make sure its energy efficient!?. Will you be doing VLANs?

I have a "NETGEAR ProSafe JGS516PE 16 Ports Gigabit Switch with 8 Ports Poe"

Is there such a thing as a switch that would link and power all my cameras and the data points in one.

My basic understanding was that a switch acted like a splitter box where you had 1 feed in that then powers multiple points from it.

1.patch panel. If you don't use them then you have to terminate each cable end and that's a pain.
2. Switch..24 port means you can have a bit of a future proof. Make sure you find a switch with low power consumption (its on all the time) and is fanless or very quite. Managed or simple makes no odds with your knowledge.
Both options use gumtree or ebay. Lots around and they all do the same so brands mean nothing. Get the lowest price
3. Make sure you have a good quality punch down tool
4. Make sure you have a decent cable tester
for the above options, ebay is great for a bundle job.
Few things to consider:
The switch speed is the total speed of all ports operating at same the time. More ports open, more data, slower speed per port.
If you get every cable terminated and working on first attempt, buy a lottery ticket...and then one for me
cat6 or cat5e will offer the same "service" if the runs are 60m or less so use the lowest price option (cat5e is easier to work with)
while you have floors up, might as well add more cables, it will save time and money latter.

Is there such a thing as a switch that would link and power all my cameras and the data points in one.

My basic understanding was that a switch acted like a splitter box where you had 1 feed in that then powers multiple points from it.
A POE switch will power cameras and any devices that need POE.
It will often not have all outputs as POE so add up what you need first. You can have a non POE and a POE switch and link them together, however the speed will be limited to whatever you connect them with...

A POE switch will power cameras and any devices that need POE.
It will often not have all outputs as POE so add up what you need first. You can have a non POE and a POE switch and link them together, however the speed will be limited to whatever you connect them with...
or buy a switch that does have PoE on all ports....lol

If i get 1 switch then surely everything is then connected together? Do i not need the cameras to connect back to the CCTV control unit and then the data points back to the broadband router?

So I have done more reading to try and get this through my head. Does everything connected to a switch get assigned an ID so I can then allocate to separate devices? Otherwise how will the cctv panel know not to try and talk to the data points?

Sorry I am not very it savy but I do know how to do things with the correct instructions.

or buy a switch that does have PoE on all ports....lol

So I have done more reading to try and get this through my head. Does everything connected to a switch get assigned an ID so I can then allocate to separate devices? Otherwise how will the cctv panel know not to try and talk to the data points?

Sorry I am not very it savy but I do know how to do things with the correct instructions.

The router assigns IP addresses. The switch is an "enabler" (read: gateway). Before switches, we had hubs, the main problem with hubs was that they would broadcast to all attached devices. That created a lot of "noise" (read: excessive IP traffic).

You have your router,,, via DCHP, it will hand out IP addresses to any device that requests one. The switch will enable those devices to ask for an IP address, but, unlike a hub, it will only broadcast to the device asking for info. I have little experience of Power Over Ethernet though.

I would however suggest that you assign a fixed static ip addresses to your ip camera server (via your router interface). At a guess the camera server asks the router for an IP address and then assigns its own IP address to the cameras. By way of an example, your router might be in the 192.18.0.1-254 range. The camera might negotiate with the router and use its own internal range , such as 109.168.1.1-192.168,1,254

With IP addresses, look at the last (2 sets of) numbers after the dot.

Sorry, that might not be awfully clear. Please ask if not.

Ok so the switch is not just a splitter for a feed from the router it allows everything to talk to each other. That makes more sense.

The cctv cameras will request ids that the dvr will recognise and assign to the cctv software.

The data points will just request IDs and allow devices to link through them to the system or Internet?

The router assigns IP addresses. The switch is an "enabler" (read: gateway). Before switches, we had hubs, the main problem with hubs was that they would broadcast to all attached devices. That created a lot of "noise" (read: excessive IP traffic).

You have your router,,, via DCHP, it will hand out IP addresses to any device that requests one. The switch will enable those devices to ask for an IP address, but, unlike a hub, it will only broadcast to the device asking for info. I have little experience of Power Over Ethernet though.

I would however suggest that you assign a fixed static ip addresses to your ip camera server (via your router interface). At a guess the camera server asks the router for an IP address and then assigns its own IP address to the cameras. By way of an example, your router might be in the 192.18.0.1-254 range. The camera might negotiate with the router and use its own internal range , such as 109.168.1.1-192.168,1,254

With IP addresses, look at the last (2 sets of) numbers after the dot.

Sorry, that might not be awfully clear. Please ask if not.
so if the router assigns a local address to all devices and then you have the camera box assiging their own local addresses, how do you manage conflicting addresses? If as you suggest, they operate on a different subnet, how do you access the camera feed from your primary network? e.g. how do I see traffic on 102.xxx.xxx.xxx on 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back