David Frost

As usual it's a bit more complex than that !
"...Foreign companies own the rights to catch more than 130,000 tonnes of fish every year that are part of England's fishing quota, research has revealed.

More than £160m worth of the English quota is in the hands of vessels owned by companies based in Iceland, Spain and the Netherlands, thanks to a practice known as "quota-hopping".

That amounts to 55% of the quota's annual value in 2019...

...Many parts of the quota were sold by English fishermen in the 1990s when fishing rights were cut dramatically. Cod fishing, for instance, was almost entirely stopped for several years.

Foreign companies then bought it up as a long-term investment, and experts say the quota market has been allowed to develop in an unregulated way ever since..."

-0-

There is no point in mentioning that :) they take no notice. The figures for shellfish are even more interesting. A coast guard told me that's worth £1billion a year and scarcely any uk interest at all. Licences bought up by countries that want them. One of the fisheries protection people. Sort of person that might actually know.

Sponsored Links
There is no point in mentioning that :) they take no notice.

I mentioned it months ago, had a chat with Notch about it. Pay attention.
That was after hearing a local talking about how many local fisherman sold off their quotas, boasted about the money they made from that, then spent the next twenty years complaining about foreign boats.

I can see the truth upsets you.

I think it is safe to assume that we will be able to import from them. I can't see them applying tariffs other than VAT. The other aspect of course is where to get the stuff from anyway? If some one imports at the moment apart from tiny amounts on a few things the main cost increase is VAT.

Some people think they are pulling a flanker. I suspect they are as well. ;) They are after a fashion at the moment - the immigration bill. Not all agree with some of it so what better time than when CV19 has captured the news and media in general. A points based system can be arranged to allow any type of person in. Not sure where Common Wealth immigration fits into it. The Australian system a far as I am aware works on the basis of more people needed for specific job areas. The job could require any skill level including none. Australia also has a high % of immigrants in it's population. It gets into their politics now and again.

I mentioned it months ago, had a chat with Notch about it. Pay attention.
That was after hearing a local talking about how many local fisherman sold off their quotas, boasted about the money they made from that, then spent the next twenty years complaining about foreign boats.

LOL we agree about something then ;) maybe but only just.

Sponsored Links
I think it is safe to assume that we will be able to import from them. I can't see them applying tariffs other than VAT. The other aspect of course is where to get the stuff from anyway? If some one imports at the moment apart from tiny amounts on a few things the main cost increase is VAT.

Some people think they are pulling a flanker. I suspect they are as well. ;) They are after a fashion at the moment - the immigration bill. Not all agree with some of it so what better time than when CV19 has captured the news and media in general. A points based system can be arranged to allow any type of person in. Not sure where Common Wealth immigration fits into it. The Australian system a far as I am aware works on the basis of more people needed for specific job areas. The job could require any skill level including none. Australia also has a high % of immigrants in it's population. It gets into their politics now and again.
We've been using a points based system for years now. All that's happening is the system we used to use for non EU migrants is now being used for everyone.

The difference in scale might cause some disruption to it but we're not transforming our immigration policies much.

The difference in scale might cause some disruption to it but we're not transforming our immigration policies much.
Its being announced as this tough new policy because it plays into the anti immigration narrative

sadly setting an earning limit on immigrants is just another shooting ourselves in the foot policy.

which has already happened with 10,000 nurses that have left and the 70,000 fruit and veg pickers

VAT on EU imports is a cashflow issue not a cost issue. VAT registered businesses importing from the EU are invoiced net of VAT, but after the transition VAt will be charged and claimed back.

The major problem is not tariffs but trade friction, its a huge barrier to trade.
Brexiteers fails to understand the huge benefit of frictionless trading inside the SM.

that friction will include: customs declarations, rules of origin checks, Sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures etc etc

list of borders operations:
Functions Related activity Revenue collection
• Collection of customs dues, excise dues and other indirect taxes
• Payment of dues and fees
• Management of bonds and other financial securities Safety and security
• Security and smuggling controls
• Dangerous goods
• Vehicle checks
• Immigration and visa formalities
• Export licences Environment and health
• Phytosanitary, veterinary and hygiene controls
• Health and safety measures
• Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) controls
• Ships’ waste Consumer protection
• Product testing
• Labelling
• Conformity checks with marketing standards (for example, fruit and vegetables) Trade policy
• Administration of quota restrictions
• Agriculture refunds
• Trade defence
• Customs agreements

And lets not forget the issues surrounding regulatory divergence which will cause significant problems in some industries such as pharma, chemical, aeronautical etc etc
when the transition ends the Eu will no longer allow the UK to self certify its CE testing: so it will become difficult for EU businesses to import from the UK. the administration pain will mean they may well look to find a alternative supplier withni the single market.

Tory new trade policy:

EYYT1nTWsAAZuUu

Tory new trade policy:

One of Arthur Clarkes predictions was the the UK would become another star on the USA's flag. ;) A state in other words. If I remember correctly within 100 years so some time to go yet. It's not one I could find easily with google but that is one of his predictions.

However he probably didn't think that they might become a declining power.

Sponsored Links
Back