Death by Electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2020-10-5_10-49-40.png

upload_2020-10-5_10-51-48.png

Sponsored Links
Number one is of clear concern, numbers 2 and 3 hard to decide if anything can prevent them.

The problem with pipes and wires moving a fault around a building is a problem, the one told in collage was a dog knocking over a standard lamp which landed on the radiator in one room and the fault was transmitted through the pipes to another room where some one touching the radiator got a shock.

The Emma Shaw case which I have quoted many times, she got the fatal shock when she touched the stop cock, in this case the stop cock was earthed, it was the leaking water which was live, made live due to a fault inside the wall.

But what we want is enough information to stop a repeat, we know a RCD would have saved Emma Shaw, but I made an error and cut through a live cable which should not have been there, with 30 mA RCD protection and I was knocked to the floor and woke up latter. So the RCD does not stop shocks it only limits the time to 40 mS, and with a gradual fault can trip before any one touches the item.

But "current was 256 volts" shows the writer had no idea what he was talking about. It seems unlikely wires would be carried in an iron pipe, iron pipes are normally for waste water, if so often simple push fit with a gasket of some sort, and you wonder how such a pipe carried voltage or current as normally used underground.

I did look at the old iron pipes in my parents house, they were not bonded, however since they went into the ground clearly were earthed, to bond them to house earth which was TN-C-S would likely increase danger not reduce it, as could only touch pipes when outside the house.

So why have you started this post, clearly some thing on your mind, but what?

... we know a RCD would have saved Emma Shaw ...
Indeed - but, as you go on to imply, that is only a 'certainty' since an RCD would presumably have reacted to the fault long before she had a chance to touch anything 'live'.
... but I made an error and cut through a live cable which should not have been there, with 30 mA RCD protection and I was knocked to the floor and woke up latter.
Yes, and as I'm sure you understand, once one gets a shock, all bets (about 'certainties') are 'off' - in certain circumstances/individuals, any shock, of any magnitude or duration, has the potential to be fatal. RCDs merely reduce the risk (and even that, only if it is an 'L-E shock').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Number one is of clear concern, numbers 2 and 3 hard to decide if anything can prevent them.

The problem with pipes and wires moving a fault around a building is a problem, the one told in collage was a dog knocking over a standard lamp which landed on the radiator in one room and the fault was transmitted through the pipes to another room where some one touching the radiator got a shock.

The Emma Shaw case which I have quoted many times, she got the fatal shock when she touched the stop cock, in this case the stop cock was earthed, it was the leaking water which was live, made live due to a fault inside the wall.

But what we want is enough information to stop a repeat, we know a RCD would have saved Emma Shaw, but I made an error and cut through a live cable which should not have been there, with 30 mA RCD protection and I was knocked to the floor and woke up latter. So the RCD does not stop shocks it only limits the time to 40 mS, and with a gradual fault can trip before any one touches the item.

But "current was 256 volts" shows the writer had no idea what he was talking about. It seems unlikely wires would be carried in an iron pipe, iron pipes are normally for waste water, if so often simple push fit with a gasket of some sort, and you wonder how such a pipe carried voltage or current as normally used underground.

I did look at the old iron pipes in my parents house, they were not bonded, however since they went into the ground clearly were earthed, to bond them to house earth which was TN-C-S would likely increase danger not reduce it, as could only touch pipes when outside the house.

So why have you started this post, clearly some thing on your mind, but what?

It's college BTW, and collage is a piece of art created by combining various individual pieces. </pedant>

These are all newspaper reports from the Edwardian period.

It's college BTW, and collage is a piece of art created by combining various individual pieces. </pedant>
That's often been pointed out (it's totally consistent), but eric's software seems unable to do any different.

Kind Regards, John

Been watching this programme about how when electricity was first installed, the "tradesmen" ignored the recently introduced regs (1882).

Some things don't change!

Been watching this programme about how when electricity was first installed, the "tradesmen" ignored the recently introduced regs (1882).

Some things don't change!

What was the programme? I think many of us on here would be interested to watch it too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back