Debit card oddity

Maybe we frequent different types of establishments, but my locals say 'cash is king'! They don't have to pay a percentage of their earnings to a bank or financial institution and can simply deposit takings themselves (if they don't use a cash handling service, which they say is cheaper).

They do likely pay more in extra costs in handling the cash, plus the extra time they spend cashing up, plus forgeries and fraud.

Sponsored Links
Have people really not encountered card only businesses yet? It's not common but I've seen more than a few of them.

A pub I used to use reopened after a long break (pre Covid) after the landlord left. They had put a pool table in, didn't sell any ales and only took cash. The new landlord told me this last vital piece of info after he poured the pint of cider I opted for instead of my usual Doom Bar. I didn't have any cards on me and he said I could pay for it on my next visit. Unfortunately for him, he presumed too much as I had already made up my mind not to return.

Some time after reopening, I noticed their 'specials' board leaning on the wall outside. Steak and chips for 28 quid. OK, it was fillet, but strong money even for one of the posher areas of Bristol. Unsurprisingly the pub is now closed again. Did well to hang on for 18 months considering their total lack of understanding of running a pub in that area and disregard for the wants of locals.

Did well to hang on for 18 months considering their total lack of understanding of running a pub in that area and disregard for the wants of locals.
I cried for 7days when my most favourite ever t'pub landlord gave up when they doubled his rent. He wasn't just good, he was damn good, he came in after a succession of brain dead no hopers had almost destroyed the place & built it back just like a village t'pub should be & more.

The Co' sold the freehold shortly after. It was bought by a married male couple . . . & that fact spread thru t'village faster than a fire in a hay barn . . . . . They are brilliant, it took some yokels awhile to come to terms with it, but gradually they all crept back & discovered for themselves just how charismatic this couple are. Chef made the stake money by working in top class restaurants, on board super yachts & doing the odd private dinner party for the glitterati (for which he charged approx £5k a time), t'other 'un was a Maitre' d in a London Michelin star restaurant, but is willing & able to lower himself to serving us muddy boots 10x pints gob in the fire types :).

So when you ask them the QUestion of "WTF is thay 2 doing here" they reply . . . . "Theese., theese is paradeese".

Back in the heydays, when pub landlords drove Jaguars & sent their kids to public schools, the brewery's could take their pick of the creme' to run their establishments. Then they started what was basically the stealing of ordinary folks money & labour by promising them they could run a t'pub. They couldn't & they never could have, even with a concise instruction manual.

Why? Because it was all down to greed.

Sponsored Links
Bet these card only establishment would soon be able to handle cash if for example they had pulled a big round of drinks and you said aw well i dont want them as i only have cash
I'm sure they would take it for that round.

try to get another round though

Surely Dork could have bought t'pub and rented out to his "most favourite ever t'pub landlord"? It would surely be just short change out of his £120 mil. Could’ve added it to his commercial portfolio and saved the 7 days of weeping and wailing.

Last edited:
When contactless was first launched, and I was still carrying some emergency cash around, I did my own mini survey in shops and pubs - both said they much preferred card payments and even better - contactless, because it's quicker and error free. They don't have to deal with lots of cash/change, they don't have to watch for forgeries, or take it to the bank at the end of the day. Of course, cash in hand makes it much easier for a trader to avoid tax.
You live in fantasyland???
No traders of any sort prefers card to cash here in England.
Have people really not encountered card only businesses yet? It's not common but I've seen more than a few of them.

Or planned to pay with cash then realised you need to get more out, and not known where the nearest cash machine is?
During covid I was getting free coffee and beer around London by ordering and then producing cash.
Most of them were horrified to see the virus contaminated banknotes :ROFLMAO:
Never arrived anywhere without cash, planning is paramount.
I'm sure they would take it for that round.

try to get another round though
Done that, they let you order again and take the cash.

I cried for 7days when my most favourite ever t'pub landlord gave up when they doubled his rent. He wasn't just good, he was damn good, he came in after a succession of brain dead no hopers had almost destroyed the place & built it back just like a village t'pub should be & more.

The Co' sold the freehold shortly after. It was bought by a married male couple . . . & that fact spread thru t'village faster than a fire in a hay barn . . . . . They are brilliant, it took some yokels awhile to come to terms with it, but gradually they all crept back & discovered for themselves just how charismatic this couple are. Chef made the stake money by working in top class restaurants, on board super yachts & doing the odd private dinner party for the glitterati (for which he charged approx £5k a time), t'other 'un was a Maitre' d in a London Michelin star restaurant, but is willing & able to lower himself to serving us muddy boots 10x pints gob in the fire types :).

So when you ask them the QUestion of "WTF is thay 2 doing here" they reply . . . . "Theese., theese is paradeese".

Back in the heydays, when pub landlords drove Jaguars & sent their kids to public schools, the brewery's could take their pick of the creme' to run their establishments. Then they started what was basically the stealing of ordinary folks money & labour by promising them they could run a t'pub. They couldn't & they never could have, even with a concise instruction manual.

That's the trouble when a tenant starts making good money in a pub - the pub co ups the rent.

Situation sounds similar to my local re. getting the right landlord. Bloke who runs it is half Italian and almost 70. Been running boozers all over Uk most of his life. Retired three times from my local (first time we sent him off with a party inc a great band and £1700 whip round in his back pocket to boost his retirement. That's the esteem the locals hold him in and are just grateful for making the pub such a success through sheer hard work and taking care of the punters. Place runs like clockwork, has great beer and atmosphere and is spotlessly clean. Trouble is, every time he tries to retire the pub owners struggle to get someone good to run it and the place and it's takings nosedive. The new people soon leave. So they entice him out of retirement - now on his third stint, working all the hours and health really suffering. He really should retire properly, but for some reason doesn't want to let the customers and owners down.

Last edited:
That's the trouble when a tenant starts making good money in a pub - the pub co ups the rent.

This happened to my old local, and many others in my experience.

The basic model of the breweries is milking the landlord.
In the case of our local, selling the dream to some loved-up young couple, let them burn through their savings for however long that takes, then onto the next one.

Pub sold off for flats eventually.

The village was first pleased then upset when
t'pub landlord gave up

The Co' sold

The Co' sold up and the building sold eventually to a builder - for less than half the listed price. Has the village known about the lack of interest and the likely price it would now be a community pub. Even the LandLord was in on the greed - in the18 months before he retired he let standards drop caused by disinterest rather than malice.
He was greedy as well - wanted to sell the contents and good will.

Pub is now closed.

Moral of the story is make sure your local is an "Asset of Community Value"; I'd asked about it for years to be told it was - I found out from the new 'LL it wasn't - every time I'd asked the question of the parish council again I'd been lied to by the people now crying into their ( take home canned) beer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back