Debit card oddity

You live in fantasyland???
No traders of any sort prefers card to cash here in England.

You are the one living in fantasy land - the world has moved on. Cash is no longer king. Cards are much more secure, and almost no opportunity for staff to pilfer.

Sponsored Links
Around here cash is king, though lots still use card as well. I am a self employed electrician , mostly domestic, rewires, showers, alarm systems. about 10 years ago, on my annual grovel, my bank manager ask me if I took card payments. "Well I said, you will charge me a yearly fee plus a %age of what I take. I have only been asked once in the whole time I have been trading" So cash and cheques it remains

This happened to my old local, and many others in my experience.

The basic model of the breweries is milking the landlord.
In the case of our local, selling the dream to some loved-up young couple, let them burn through their savings for however long that takes, then onto the next one.

Pub sold off for flats eventually.

Pubs used to be a good living years ago, too many hours and temptation to over sample your own wares, but know a few who got it right and did very well. Private schools used to have plenty of pub landlords' kids being educated. Post smoking ban, Covid, greedy pub cos, high costs, trouble getting staff, etc, etc you'd need to be mad to take on a boozer these days - with maybe a few exceptions.

Sponsored Links
Many of the takeaways around here, especially Chinese, are cash only. Wonder why. :sneaky:

I only rarely use take-aways of any variety, but to my knowledge - they do all use card payments. It would be near impossible to run a take-away, where they only took cash, because they will only accept a phone order, with a card payment in advance. Cash only would be a businesses suicide.

I only rarely use take-aways of any variety, but to my knowledge - they do all use card payments. It would be near impossible to run a take-away, where they only took cash, because they will only accept a phone order, with a card payment in advance. Cash only would be a businesses suicide.

The cash only Chinese I use takes phone orders without payment in advance. Suppose we're just more trustworthy around these parts. ;) No deliveries either. Local chip shop is the same. Can guarantee when I'm waiting in there at least one or two punters are sent with their card to the Tesco two doors down to use their cashpoint to get cash. If I thought any tax that's avoided would have been otherwise well spent had HMRC received it, I would be disapproving. The way the government sprays it around, it's obviously not valued. As a willing punter, I'm probably an accessory. (y)

Last edited:
I can count on the fingers of one hand (not including the thumb) all the takeaways I have been in in the last 3 years that will accept cards and two of those only accept card payments if you book ont tinterwebby. If you turn up to order in person, it's cash only.

It would surely be worth HMRC's while checking out all these businesses?

A Takeaway here was always cash only for 25 years. No problem. The ownership changed about 4 months ago and they prefer cards. The old shop was very very popular and it was always cash.

In fact it was very common for someone to order food, walk across the road to the ATM for cash then come back to collect their order and pay for it in cash

Many of the takeaways around here, especially Chinese, are cash only. Wonder why. :sneaky:
I had a steak in a Chinese restaurant once. It was as tough as old boots. When the waiter asked me how it was. "Rubbery” I said. "Oh, frank you velly much" he replied!

I’ll get me coat…..

Why do people presume cash only means some sort of hmrc fiddle are they judging people by what they would do themselves

You are the one living in fantasy land - the world has moved on. Cash is no longer king. Cards are much more secure, and almost no opportunity for staff to pilfer.
Yes, for customers, not for traders.
They all prefer cash so there's no fees and no tax to pay.

How much £cash do you carry in your wallet (or purse for JohnD'ski)?

I likes to have £100 on the hip, which is significantly less than I used to carry not all that long ago.

I pay for things with a mixture of £cash, credit cards, debit cards & now GooglePay.

I can sense a movement away from £cash and this has absolutely nothing to do with the Brigade77 types buttering you all up for the introduction of "BRITCOIN".

Sponsored Links
Back