Debit card oddity

Do you really think if gas supplies became tight they would shut of more than 50% of houses and businesses? Or any of them?
are you really that daft that you do not know the logistics involved in losing whole towns or being able to keep hospitals and essential industries running , AND its been a been an absolute basic tarriff for well over a half century that gives big business cheaper gas because they agree to be turned off first to maintain supplies within a town

Sponsored Links
are you really that daft that you do not know the logistics involved in losing whole towns or being able to keep hospitals and essential industries running
Glad we cleared that up. Shutting off half the country with the flick of a switch ain't gonna happen.

Glad we cleared that up. Shutting off half the country with the flick of a switch ain't gonna happen.
and who mentioned half the country ? you clearly dont understand what a grid system is and why areas need to be turned off under certain circumstances and the easiest way to do it

Seen this 3 times now but only now been able to take a picture.

IMG_20230401_115914_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links

Order 10 pints and tell them you don't have a card.
I bet they make an exception.

Exactly that happened to me beginning of last year. A pub I used to use in Bristol had been closed for a couple of years (not due to Covid), had just re-opened under new management. First negative thing I noticed was the additions of a pool table and the LL's unfortunate taste in loud, obscure rock music. Anyway, I ordered a pint of Thatchers which the new LL poured. Offering cash, he then informs me they're now card only. Even though I could poss have given him the right money, he didn't want it as they're not set up to handle cash. He said I could pay on my next visit - which unsurprisingly never happened.

Couple of months ago I noticed a blackboard outside the same pub, and one of the food offerings was steak and chips for 28 quid! The pub is now shut again. Surprised it lasted as long as it did.

This is the pub.

I have to say the service was top notch, very speedy and the food was absolutely gorgeous.

What type of business is that?
Must say the photo looks like it was taken in an office rather than a pub. I would boycott. Once we willingly abandon cash, we have lost another small bit of control over our lives.

Then it gets stupid -

I walk out if I'm told they don't accept cash. Been in a shop today, proprietor offered card machine or said cash if you wish. Gave him cash and he thanked me as I saved him the transaction costs.

That advert is b****t stupid.

Also the push to give kids a form of debit card - it doesn't teach them about the value of money and true cost of stuff.

Stepdaughter had own bank account at 13; at 14 all her personal spend (clothes, make-up, music,etc) was funded into her bank. Spent it quick for the first month then she learnt she wasn't getting any more; when she went to college she was well able to manage her money.
After college she thanked us for teaching about money that way.

Last edited:
This is the pub.

I have to say the service was top notch, very speedy and the food was absolutely gorgeous.

Is it just that pub or the whole chain? Either way don't deserve the trade.

Also the push to give kids a form of debit card - it doesn't teach them about the value of money and true cost of stuff.

Exactly the same argument can be said about cash, that it doesn't teach the true cost.

Stepdaughter had own bank account at 13; at 14 all her personal spend (clothes, make-up, music,etc) was funded into her bank. Spent it quick for the first month then she learnt she wasn't getting any more; when she went to college she was well able to manage her money.
After college she thanked us for teaching about money that way.

Every penny you spend via a card is logged, who was paid, how much and when. Cash can just be spent, with absolutely no record at all, of where it went. Online spend is much easier to keep track of.

Sponsored Links
Back