Decline in jam varieties

Sponsored Links
Tiptree make some very fine jams at about twice the price. Quite a large range. Their "Little Scarlet" strawberry is world famous among tbe cognoscenti and is widely sold in supermarkets.

They have their own fruit farm near Chelmsford.
Its called Wilkins and sons and is in Tiptree, funnily enough! When we take the dogs for a day out to Mersea island, we have lunch at Mersea and dessert in Tiptree. They have a museum of jam on site.

Could it be because there are less Jam producers in the UK because fruit is now left rotting in the fields?

"Haygrove raspberry and blueberry farm in Ledbury, Herefordshire is moving some of its growing to Yunnan province in China because of uncertainty over migrant labour. “It is one of many,” said Capper. “There are lots of businesses looking at other parts of Europe, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, China. We are disinvesting in British production which is just appalling.”
Community Centre?

Ah, you remember the benefits of a Labour government.

View attachment 287544
Poster for the Welfare foods programme (which entitled all infants and expectant mothers to free milk, orange juice and cod liver oil)

Do you also remember who snatched the issue of free daily milk from schoolchildren?
FFS only you two could turn an innocent jam thread into a political one. Just what is the matter with the pair of you? You constantly refer to 'bitter brexxers' but I think you are showing yourselves up for the bitter remainers that you really are. Try to join in with the spirit of the thread for once and leave politics out of it.

FFS only you two could turn an innocent jam thread into a political one. Just what is the matter with the pair of you? You constantly refer to 'bitter brexxers' but I think you are showing yourselves up for the bitter remainers that you really are. Try to join in with the spirit of the thread for once and leave politics out of it.
Ah, the irony, from one who turns many threads into ad hominem comments, or silly claims about someone not being a DIYer. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I love raspberry J. but making it is a fiddly job to remove all those seeds so bearing that in mind i'd say Cherry J. is my currant fave. Recipes call for equal parts sugar-to-fruit but my sweet tooth must've fallen out over the years as i prefer to use half the amount of sugar. It gives room for the natural flavour of the fruit to taste.

I've never liked jam with seeds.

Today i opened a jar of jam - eventually...after much twisting and knocking of top on wood, it eventually gave way to reveal a pristine smooth surface of Plummy goodness. Last of the batch from November 2018: still good to go on toast. It'll be the last ever jar of Plum since cutting down the tree a couple of years ago. Haven't made any at all this year - the wet weather gave a low yield, so we ate it all fresh. Worst since 2012 - 'the year of the slug'.

Sponsored Links
Back