Decline in jam varieties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't usually go to places like Tesco etc., I just visit local shops and Lidl usually, but over the years the jam choice seems to have diminished drastically. Most of these places seem to have a very limited choice of just 3 or 4. One of my favourites used to be 'bramble seedless', but I have not seen that for many years.

Lidl only seem to have a choice of strawberry, black current, or marmalade. For a while I compromised, buying their strawberry - which is good quality, though not quite to my taste. For a change, I bought the black current, no doubt equally good, I just don't like it, so in the bin it goes. Last time, I decided to try their fine cut marmalade. Since buying it, my bread consumption, in the form of toast, has quadrupled.

Sponsored Links
The budget supermarkets work in part because they don't offer many varieties. If you try a Waitrose then there'll probably be a million different brands and types, all beautifully laid out on a spotless shelf.

Tiptree are good. They used to have many varieties, but not sure how many they have now.

Sponsored Links
Our local Tesco has stopped selling my favourite blackcurrant, not sure if it is an availability or marketing problem, perhaps sugar is getting to be more expensive.

Aldi's apricot conserve is lovely; half the price of Bonne Maman, and tastes just the same. They seem to have quite a big range, including ones I've never heard of, like Pineapple. I think my Lidl has a bigger range than yours.

I don't think anyone makes bramble seedless any more. Tiptree make blackberry jelly, which would be the same thing, but too pricy for me.

Do they still make Damson jam?

Just googled, and Tesco sell Mackays bramble seedless jam.

I like Lidle black cherry, I buy it for toast and porridge, I swear it’s gone up by about a £1 though.

tiptree do a massive range, but you will pay around £3 a jar.

try Waitrose they do them I think.

I was buying Asda Extra Special raspberry jam because it had 65% fruit and was 95p. The last few times I was there, they didn't have it. I've just checked online and it is not £1.75.
I always check the fruit content and I won't buy it unless it has more than 50% fruit.

The one I get from Aldi is always called conserve. But what is the difference, compared to jam?
Different sugar content. "Jam" has a legal definition in UK that controls the ingredients.

A bit like "beer" in Germany.

"Jam" is allowed to contain surprisingly small proportion of fruit.

I like a high fruit content, though less sugar means it will go mouldy if not refrigerated and quickly eaten.

I've just checked, the jam I buy in Asda is also labelled as conserve, but it's just jam to me.

I've just checked, the jam I buy in Asda is also labelled as conserve, but it's just jam to me.

It says "Prepared with 61g of Fruit per 100g"

Good stuff and far exceeds the standard required of "Jam"

It's actually better than the more expensive "Bonne Maman"
"Prepared with 50g Raspberries per 100g"

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back