demolition

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Ex-wife wants it.
You're not right, but you're not far wrong! I'm still married to the cow, but it won't be for long and I'll live in a box under a bridge before I see her and her new pal move into the house I built.

Basically, she's away for the next two weeks - actually nearly three - and I know she's going to file for divorce when she gets back. So, two weeks or so to sort it out.

I didn't think it would be so obvious!

ipjodan said:
Can of petrol and lighter...........
:D I like that. I'm not so keen on what the police might have to say though.

Besides, I don't want her to get insurance or anything like that. I want her to get back to a pile of as fine rubble as I can manage.

Sponsored Links
mrbadger said:
the goal is to reduce it to a state where it can't be put back up.

That is what gave it away. :D

ipjodan is right, cancel the insurance first and as long as there is no money owing on the property, you can do what you like.

doit said:
mrbadger said:
the goal is to reduce it to a state where it can't be put back up.

That is what gave it away. :D

ipjodan is right, cancel the insurance first and as long as there is no money owing on the property, you can do what you like.
yeah - that's definitely the first step - though I'll have to check if it's not a joint policy as she'll probably get a wee bit suspicious if I ask her to agree to cancel the insurance...

Torching it is out of the question, though it is tempting :D Apart from the police and so on I think the neighbours might have a problem with it. The place is on its own land but their are neighbours 100 yards away or so.

Anyway, the first thing is to sort out the gas/electricity and so on. I'll get them cut off first thing next week. In the meantime I'm going to fill the well in with concrete. The house had its own water supply - cost a fortune to drill down about 20 metres but it's clean natural mineral water, so that has to go first. After that it's the house itself. There was a suggestion of taking the walls out so the roof falls in - is that the general consensus as to the best way to go?

ipjodan said:
Shame Fred Dibnah's dead, he might of helped out.

Did you like that!
explosives would be good

but only if she comes back early :D

Perhaps you could be planning to build a new house? Until you got the surprising news about a divorce.

It's not surprising. The hitch to the b*tch has been over for a while, but she said she wants to formalise it when she gets back. As for building a new house well, it's an idea, but I'll need to arrange credit and so on so it's a lot of organising.

For now I'm less concerned with what I'll be doing than with making sure that the two of them never set foot in the place again.

Has anyone had a similar experience - I mean taking a house down from scratch, not with the marriage. I'm sure loads of blokes on here have had that!

So is this your only property? Do you have kids? If not then what guarantees her the house?
Maybe you'll have to sell it and split 50/50, obviously a pile of rubble would give her less cash, so I understand your position. And if you have know how to buy another plot and rebuild then you'll be ok, kind of.

Another idea, is there any materials that can be re-used? Windows, doors, steelwork, timber etc. You could probably get a few quid for it at a scrapyard. Or alternatively store it elsewhere (pals property, storage unit, lock up) and reuse them on your next property, if indeed you are intending to rebuild.

Deluks said:
So is this your only property? Do you have kids? If not then what guarantees her the house?
Maybe you'll have to sell it and split 50/50, obviously a pile of rubble would give her less cash, so I understand your position. And if you have know how to buy another plot and rebuild then you'll be ok, kind of.
Kids - two, and the house is supposedly nearer to the school, so she'd get it. I say supposedly because she's already shacked up with the new one anyway and she won't be moving.

I'm going to rent then decide what to do re building or buying. Anyway, that's all for the future.

Deluks said:
Another idea, is there any materials that can be re-used? Windows, doors, steelwork, timber etc. You could probably get a few quid for it at a scrapyard. Or alternatively store it elsewhere (pals property, storage unit, lock up) and reuse them on your next property, if indeed you are intending to rebuild.
There's a smart bloke! The thing is, if I strip the place then she'll get her claws into it as assets (especially the fittings, appliances and so on). So, i'll have to take out a few things that will be worth something/can be used again, but not so much as to make it obvious. It will need a bit of thought, though.

just a thought, if your married the house will be deemed to be partly hers, so you may well be opening yourself up to all sorts of legal problems. Otherwise hire a mini excavator and use that to take it down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back