Detached garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a bit of advice around our garage roof and structure in general.

We have a larger than average sized single skin detached garage at the bottom of our garden which currently has an asbestos roof which we are looking to remove. (I know un-disturbed this is ok, but this is just something that we really want to get rid of). Initially we were thinking of knocking the full thing down as we dont use it as an actual garage - at present it is more of a place for hoarding junk and lawn mowers, bikes etc. After discussing this however a lot of people have advised against flattening the garage and instead have persuaded us keep it and use it for other purposes....we are thinking along the lines of a games room/ bar/ potentially put the washer and tumble dryer in their.

My question is - would Onduline be ok for this purpose? We have been advised as is single-skin will need to be damp proofed. My idea is to remove the roof and replace with Onduline; use a paint on damp proof liquid on the floor before applying a floating floor; use some form of damp proofing membrane on the walls and then board the walls up from the inside and insulate between the two. We are looking for the cheapest possible option.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
By the time you have made all the alterations to your existing garage, you may find that building a new garage is cost neutral. That said, you can spread the cost of improving your existing garage over a period of time whereas the new build will cost abit up front but be a better investment longer term.
We are currently having a garage rebuilt and it will be between £25k and £28k , so not cheap but a good investment for the future.

Mike

Onduline will normally be a much more expensive solution to removal and replacement. There is also nothing magical about their system, and you can acheive the same thing by encapsulating it yourself (or your builder) with similar materials. You also need to be careful that the work does not take you into the realms of requiring planning permission due to changes in roof height

The rest of the work sounds like it will be a conversion, and will require building regualtion approval

i would really go for one of the coat metal profile solutions.
fast easy and comes in many colours.

Sponsored Links
An Onduline sheet will condensate if you have warm air in there. Especially if you insulate the walls only. Onduline will be a direct replacement for cement sheet, but what are you gaining ? More info, and preferably pics of span and structure required for a more effective solution.

Onduline is not a replacement for the asbestos, but a method of encasing the asbestos sheets avoiding costs of removal.

Does anyone go into Wickes to ask for Onduline or do they go into Wickes and ask for corregated roof sheets?

Yes they make sheets, but it's the system that is most often referred to when someone wants to use "Onduline" on their asbestos roof.

In the trade, yes. But op mentions removing asbestos sheet. Suspect he has walked into a shed and seen a corrugated sheet that matched the profile of his azzy sheet, it would of had onduline stickers on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back