Dimmer switch light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 2 gang dimmer switch controlling 2 ceiling light, both halogen bulbs.
I want to change one of the ceiling lights to LED bulbs and leave the other same halogen bulbs.
Can I use the VARILIGHT V-PRO 2-GANG 2-WAY LED DIMMER SWITCH WHITE to control 1 LED ceiling light and 1 halogen ceiling light?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't forget, most dimmers can be dismantled, so you could remove one dimmer module from the plate, and fit a different module.

Don't forget, most dimmers can be dismantled, so you could remove one dimmer module from the plate, and fit a different module.
Very good point. I have a few gridswitches for odd needs.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a grid switch.
From your current 2 gang dimmer you can (often) remove one if the dimmer modules and directly replace it with a Varilight pro module (as suggested by sparkwright).

For me one the stand alone modules is show in this search:

You don't need a grid switch.
From your current 2 gang dimmer you can (often) remove one if the dimmer modules and directly replace it with a Varilight pro module (as suggested by sparkwright).

For me one the stand alone modules is show in this search:
Will I be able to do the same with this dimmer?

Sorry, Cannot tell.
Normally I pull off white knob, and there is a nut under it onto the dimmers spindle.
So in most cases yes, but cannot be specific. (I changed lots of crabtree dimmers to take Varilight pro dimmer modules).

John
Not a problem - made me double check. :)

On re-looking just now the Screwfix link actually had a spec and shows that the Varilight Pro is suitable for the following:

Max. Dimmable Load (Halogen)200 W
Max. Dimmable Load (Incandescent)200 W
Max. Dimmable Load (LED)120 W

So I would also suggest using the 2 gang Varilight Pro I put a link to.

Last edited:
The Varilight will work with halogens, however when the halogen lamp fails you can expect the dimmer to be destroyed.

So the best thing for me is to buy the 2 gang Varilight, swap one of the LED modules with my current halogen. Then I can use the removed LED module in another light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back