Some friends keep telling me I should get certified ... oh, that means something different doesn't it :mrgreen:
Well, it did a few decades ago. The nearest current equivalent is probably "sectioned" (although, when I first came across the term, meant to cut into very thin slices :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, it did a few decades ago. The nearest current equivalent is probably "sectioned" (although, when I first came across the term, meant to cut into very thin slices :) ).

That's evolution for you. Not always a good thing.

I presume it has something to do with Section {whichever} of a Health Act. Therefore if subject to it you have been "Sectioned".
That it obviously applies to all other sections as well eludes those using it as an inappropriate abbreviation.

Actually that's quite relevant - regarding DS fused spur.

I see Toolstation refer to FCUs as "Fused Spur Units" - that is a "Unit" for (connecting) fused spurs.
Quite logical.
However, rather than abbreviate this to "spur unit", I presume the unthinking decided that "fused spur" would do.
Obviously not logical nor correct nor sensible.

The same for Winston's transformer - abbreviated from something longer which he thinks subsequently excludes all the other types of transformer from being entitled to use the word.

That's evolution for you. Not always a good thing. I presume it has something to do with Section {whichever} of a Health Act. Therefore if subject to it you have been "Sectioned".
Quite so. It is actually ambiguous at the level of detail, since it can refer to (involuntary) 'detention' under one of several different 'Sections' of the Mental Health Act.

However, even 'certified' (the term Simon mentioned, and about as vague as 'sectioned') was fairly transient. My parents and grandparents spoke of 'being committed' (to a 'Mental Asylum' in those days).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think the schemes require more than a history of posting in an internet forum.
I'm sure they do. However, as per my subsequent posts, I presume that EFLI was referring to my ability to obtain the required 'qualifications' to obtain membership of a scheme. As I said ('immodestly', as has been pointed out!) I am sure that I would have no problem in obtaining those qualifications should I so wish (which I don't).

Kind Regards, John

There are numerous instances in here where the 5 day wonders are ripped apart as they have a qualification but no real experience to draw on. I have no doubt you could pass the exams, but there is no way anybidy can demonstrate they have any practical ability in a forum

I don't think john was proposing to use this forum in any way to support his hypothetical qualification.

I don't think john was proposing to use this forum in any way to support his hypothetical qualification.
Quite so.

In fact, I have not "proposed" anything. On the contrary, when EFLI wrote that he was "sure that I could get registered", whilst I agreed with him that I believe I could if I wanted to, I have repeatedly indicated that such is not something that I would ever want to do.

KInd Regards, John

There are numerous instances in here where the 5 day wonders are ripped apart as they have a qualification but no real experience to draw on. I have no doubt you could pass the exams, but there is no way anybidy can demonstrate they have any practical ability in a forum
That's all true, but I don't really understand why you are making this point. As you know, despite what EFLI wrote, I have repeatedly said that I would not want to "become registered" - and I've certainly never suggested that my participation in this forum has got anything to do with it.

However, since you raise the issue, in addition to my theoretical and regulatory knowledge and my ability to apply that knowledge practically, I would think the fact that I have been "doing things electrical" for the better part of 50 years probably means that I am a bit ahead (in terms of "real experience to draw on") of the '5-day wonders' you refer to.

However, as I said, this is all totally hypothetical. I have no wish, intention or desire to acquire any electrical qualification(s), let alone to become a "registered" electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Firstly, my post was not directed at John.

I was pointing out the irony that, in here, the attitude to the 5 day wonders is often patronising but they have made the effort to get initial training to start or continue a career. Yet, in this post, a quote was made that being a member of DIYNOT and posting in this board equates to a 6 year training course.

I was not commenting on John's expertise and don't doubt he would pass the exams. I never referred to him applying for scheme membership as he had already said he has no interest in doing that.

I was pointing out the irony that, in here, the attitude to the 5 day wonders is often patronising
I have to say your posts are somewhat confusing and this one somewhat contradictory.
I think it fair to say that "five day wonders" are rarely mentioned on DIYnot, unlike another forum where it seems to be the first response in many threads. I honestly can't remember anyone having said they were a FDW on here.
Are you, perhaps, confusing the forums?

but they have made the effort to get initial training to start or continue a career.
Ok.

Yet, in this post, a quote was made that being a member of DIYNOT and posting in this board equates to a 6 year training course.
I presume you are referring to my comment.
I did not say that exactly, although they will learn more than in five days, but John has been here for six years learning and discussing the regulations and I have no doubt he would; with a piece of work to show and necessary paperwork, of course; pass the scheme assessment with no bother at all.

I was not commenting on John's expertise and don't doubt he would pass the exams. I never referred to him applying for scheme membership as he had already said he has no interest in doing that.
Then what are you saying?

Firstly, my post was not directed at John.
Fair enough, but I am a little confused. If your comments were not directed at me, who were you referring to when you wrote:
... I have no doubt you could pass the exams, but ...
You now write ....
.... Yet, in this post, a quote was made that being a member of DIYNOT and posting in this board equates to a 6 year training course.
... and the comment to which you are referring clearly did relate to me. If EFLI did mean that my ~6 years participation in this forum "equates to a 6-year training course", then I am with you in not agreeing with that. Although, now you mention it, I think your interpretation of what he wrote may well have been right, it's not how I interpreted it at the time. I thought he meant that, over those 6 years, he had learned a lot from my forum posts about my knowledge, my experience and all the learning I had done by observation and 'tutoring'over a period of many years, which he felt was comparable with a lengthy training course!.

Whatever, as you go on to say, I have no interest in acquiring any formal electrical qualifications, let alone "registration". However, it does concern me that there appear to be at least some people out their, working as 'electricians' and seemingly in at least some cases believing that they are 'qualified' to do that, whose knowledge, experience and skills are seemingly inferior to those which I (a person with no aspirations or intention of working as an electrician) have acquired over the years.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back