DIYer help

I think all posters should be required to swear that they are telling "the whole truth etc" just like in a court of law.

or shall we just assume that they are all lying from the get-go?
it's often the case anyway.. it is a DIY site after all..

Sponsored Links
Certain people need to quit posting here if thats going to be there attitude towards other posters.

it's the increasing number of "I'm having some work done by a part p electrician but I just want to know how to do it so I know he's doing it right" questions that are to blame..
it's normally blatantly obvious that they have no intention of getting a sparky in and are fishing for info so they can do the work themselves and not bother notifying when they need to ..

it's the increasing number of "I'm having some work done by a part p electrician but I just want to know how to do it so I know he's doing it right" questions that are to blame..
it's normally blatantly obvious that they have no intention of getting a sparky in and are fishing for info so they can do the work themselves and not bother notifying when they need to ..

Yes it is blindingly obvious, but some people need work/improvements done that they can't afford to pay an electrician to do or declare.

So they ask questions on here DIY forum. You experts can either help them to do it safely with advice and tips or ignore them.

The vast majority of sparks on this forum offer help and advice even when they know the asker is going to do the job him/herself.

I genuinely believe more people would be upfront about their intentions if it were not for the attitude of one particular poster on this Electrics UK forum. No, not you CJ

Sponsored Links
Yes it is blindingly obvious, but some people need work/improvements done that they can't afford to pay an electrician to do or declare.
Nothing wrong with that, per se - as long as people are aware of the law and prepared for any subsequent hassle arising from contravening it it's their business.

So they ask questions on here DIY forum. You experts can either help them to do it safely with advice and tips or ignore them.
And helped they are, as long as they don't look to have bitten off more than they can chew.

The vast majority of sparks on this forum offer help and advice even when they know the asker is going to do the job him/herself.
Nothing wrong with DIYing - it's LYing about it that's unacceptable.

am i putting myself at risk of him grassing me up

the title of the subject is
Re: DIYer help

both from the very first post.

Fair point. Reading back, I can't see a lie, only a badly worded sentence.

I have had electric underfloor heating and a bathroom towel rail put in
..which wasn't a lie.

Then when that rapidly came unravelled
It didn't. You entirely missed out the statements showing that spils didn't at any point conceal the fact that he'd carried out the work:

i'm very worried as i haven't notified the local authority and have not had it done by a part p sparky.

I know that i need a part p certificate to make sure it's safe, but if i call the local part p registered sparky and tell him what i've done, am i putting myself at risk of him grassing me up to the authorities?

Goodbye, liar.
Not a million miles from "Goodbye, Jew". :rolleyes:

You'd better 'fess up to the BC quickly Spils, before the BCfuzz get to you.

If you don't already know, the BC has a team of BCfuzz dressed in tights, who resemble Superman. They fly around your neighbourhood looking for examples of DIY installations so the BC can arrest them for interrogation.

In the last 4 years their success rate has been exactly - err - nil. The only prosecutions are of cowboys who made such a dreadful pigs ear of their installations that their customers grassed on them.

Do you feel so guilty when you've done 35 mph in a 30 mph area that you feel obliged to 'fess up in the nearest cop shop?

It didn't. You entirely missed out the statements showing that spils didn't at any point conceal the fact that he'd carried out the work:
Try reading the original post as actually written, in isolation, rather than looking for ways to interpret it which are influenced by knowledge from later posts.

I'll add some assistance to it for you.

"I have had electric underfloor heating and a bathroom towel rail put in, both on separate new circuits."

And as more than one person has said, that clearly means he had someone do the work.

"if i call the local part p registered sparky and tell him what i've done"

i.e., from his first paragraph

"if i call the local part p registered sparky and tell him that I had underfloor heating and a towel rail put in by someone who was not a part p sparky"

Goodbye, liar.
Not a million miles from "Goodbye, Jew". :rolleyes:
As 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 is not a million, you are of course quite correct.

As 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 is not a million, you are of course quite correct.
It wasn't a Boolean 'NOT', as you know perfectly well.

I think the balance of probabilities is that you were wrong about him lying, and my point is that your subsequent judgment was blinkered and not a considered one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back